Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Leaking Carburetor
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Leaking Carburetor
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of lester hannahs
posted
y 1975 Barth Class C has been at a mechanic in NC since before Thanksgiving and mechanic says my carb is leaking and he cannot find one. I need help. Should I send to Mr. Heritz that I see mentioned here? I have been in Ohio all winter and need this problem solved. Help

Posts: 13 | Location: barnesville,ohio | Member Since: 10-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Call Steve here: http://www.zepedacarburetors.com/
He has or can fix any carburetor. He fixed my 1979 Brand X 454 Rochester Quadrajet.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lester hannahs:
y 1975 Barth Class C has been at a mechanic in NC since before Thanksgiving and mechanic says my carb is leaking and he cannot find one. I need help. Should I send to Mr. Heritz that I see mentioned here? I have been in Ohio all winter and need this problem solved. Help

I would have serious reservations about a mechanic who says "cannot".

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lester hannahs
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way. He has had it for 2 months and tells me the same story every time I call him.I really need this problem solved as I plan to live in the Barth while I work down south. It is a real beauty!!

Posts: 13 | Location: barnesville,ohio | Member Since: 10-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
What engine? What carburetor do you have on it? Do you know the numbers on the carb? I'm curious as to whether some of the "New Old Stock" merchandise you can find on Ebay might be cost effective for you. It was for me when needing carb work.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
If your mechanic was born after 1955, 1960 you better quiz him about the relationship of points, matchbook covers or business cards, lead pencils and distributors, heat riser valves and the relationship of catalytic converters and farm gas. If he has that Homer Simpson look keep looking.
Answers furnished on request

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Let's assume for now that the mechanic is competent, and he is relying on the parts counter guy at the vendor he has a business relationship with. That guy is making the mechanic look bad.

If you go to www.rockauto.com, and enter that you've got a 1975 G30 Van chassis vehicle, you'll quickly find that the 454 uses a United 33442, the 400 carb is unavailable, and on the 350 4-bbl, you have a few choices depending on if you have a hand choke, or a catalytic converter. One choice would be United 33513. United is a rebuilder out of Chicago I think.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would have serious reservations about a mechanic who doesn't know how to deal with a leaking Q-jet.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Send it to Horitz. He'll have it back to you two days after he gets it, it will be done right with all the right parts, and it will be better than new because he does a few things that GM didn't to make it better. If you had sent it to him Monday, you'd have it back Thursday.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
When the Rochester QuadraJet came out in the '60s, there was a problem with the center casting plugs (2 of them) leaking down, causing the engine to flood. The fix was to install a "K" Plug repair kit which consisted of two new plugs with an o-ring set into the OD. Check around with a "Real" auto parts store for some. Make sure you bring your carb number, an eight-digit number stamped into the vertical side of the carb bowl. it should be something like 17042156 or something similar.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.