Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Microwave repair/replacement?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Microwave repair/replacement?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I have the Sharp microwave convention/microwave oven and the microwave side of it failed on this trip.

Has anyone removed this unit? Repaired it? Replaced it?

Looks like I may have to remove the mirror below it to tip it down to get it off the retaining hooks. Won't be a fun job if that is the case.

HELP!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/10
posted Hide Post
I replaced mine with another Sharp Convection m/w last winter.
I didn't have any mirrors to remove.

The unit was held in place with small "L" angle brackets (2-one on each side) that were screwed into the front/bottom of the m/w frame (under the door of the m/w), the lip of the bracket slips into a groove on the cabinet floor to stop the m/w from moving forward or back.

On the top of the unit (behind the cabinet vent air-circulation top/front, which is screwed on)was a support board that is placed on top of the unit (screwed) to hold the m/w down so that the lips of the brackets on the bottom of the m/w don't pop out of the groove they rest in.

The support board has a piece of rubber hose sliced it's length to slip on edge of board to cushion the top of m/w.

Remove the top vent cover and the support board to lift the unit up and out.

Reuse the brackets on the new unit and re-install.

This is a different model (Regency) but the cabinet might be similar in design. This really shouldn't be too involved though...........I hope.

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

Posts: 70 | Location: WI | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I posted a guide to moveing the sharp convection/microwave at sometime in the past but can not find it now and don't exactly remember all there was to do.

You may have only blown a fuse. There is a fuse behind the controls that I have blown out and replaced.

Found the posting and have included it here.

Posted 11-02-2007 05:36 PM Hide Post
This is for Ol'Betsy. First we also have a '92 breakaway with the Sharp microwave/convection oven. To bad I did not know about this earlier as we were at Fort Knox.

Anyway there is a fuse behind the control panel.

You will need to drop the front of the unit down. To do this ours had some screws that went thru the cabinet above and into the top of the Sharp. Don't know if this was factory or someone else. Next at the bottom rear you will find a couple of levers that you pull and this will release the unit. At this point the front will drop down. Next there is a screw in the vent on the top front of the unit. Remove this and then you can snap the vent up. next your control panel will lift up and you can move it out of the way. You may have to remove some of the conectors but they are all different so easy to put back. Look closely and you will see a ceramic buss fuse kinda behind a post. this is 15 amp and you can buy a replacement at the hardware store.

I blew ours earlier this year. this sounds a lot harder than it is. If you want to call me with more send an email with you phone number and I will get back to you.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
We removed our Sharp MW using Gary Carter's instructions without a hitch. Actually we blew the fuse twice before the MW crapped out. The only thing I would add is two steps: (1) FIRST STEP ... remove the wood trim around the mirror on the left hand side. The MW will skin by the mirror but not the trim. We had to dig out the wood putty covering 5 or 6 screws but other than that it was no big deal. (2) We also stuffed a bunch of pillows up underneath the MW as it is VEEEEERRRRY heavy and the pillows allow for a (pardon the pun) soft landing.
Also, our clips on the back were extremely hard to move and required a small pry bar to pop them loose so be prepared. Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
If it cannot be repaired, McKinney RV in Red Bay Alabama has some take outs and new ones on their shelves. Sharp shut down and some Chinese outfit bought the assets, at least that is what I heard. There are other manufacturers that make models that fit in the same opening.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.