Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    3208 Cat engine
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

3208 Cat engine
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
It takes ?? quarts

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Kevin, My Barth manual and the cat manual says to put 16 quarts for the crankcase only: it does not include any of the filters, cooler, or accessory plumbing. Then topping off to include filters and cooler, should take 3 to 4 quarts. This is from the Gillig MHM 3208T manual. Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Would it make sense when you are ready to change oil to check the dipstick, drain until it is within the limits of that stick then just measure the volume drained? If the filters are top down, no problem just fill the amount drained, add oil to filter before replacing, run engine until pressure is up then recheck and top off. Note amount needed for total and record in your manual.

If you go with the 16 quarts as a starter no problems will ensue if you don't do anything other than start, wait for pressure to build and stabilize for a minute, maybe even two, then shutdown, check stick and top off.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Itchintogo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
I was going to far off subject (again)

That is why I started this topic.

I have conflicting information on a simple thing like amount of OIL in the crankcase.

Inside the rear most passenger door it has been hand written in paint marker “24 quarts with filters” This does not coincide with the manuals, but further investigations and some input form here should help me put the correct amount of oil back into the crankcase.

One manual that came with the Barth says add 16 quarts and adjust the dipstick after filling. Top off with 2 or 3 more quarts to fill the filters after starting and turning it off to your previously set mark. The Cat dealer bulletin says: 18 quarts for 10-inch engine oil coolers, 20 quarts for 14-inch engine oil coolers. My Barth has a 20-inch engine oil cooler! I have been informed here this engine oil cooler is in front of the radiator on the driver side rear most access door. Do Barth coaches have larger oil coolers because of the transverse side mounted radiators? I have confirmed that this is the engine oil cooler.

If the data tag helps it is: 46GED0419K2041726.
The engine tag has Ser. No. 02Z55446
The AR NO is 7C8848
The Blue Prints have 38 RDG-C5 Barth Show Coach

I would really like to know if this really does take 24 quarts of oil. I am led to believe this may be correct with such large engine oil cooler. I hope I have covered all the necessary information for our fellow Barth owners to help me make a correct decision. When I worked at a supply yard I would always have trouble with the rest of the crew putting too much oil in the trucks. Even the owner would overfill! As stated in a few other posts too much is not good for any engine. Damage caused by excessive oil is usually less harmful than not enough oil for lubrication, but engine oil needs to be accurate for your engine work properly and to last 900,000 miles!

Kevin I replied to you on the other MCC thread ( with some info) as I had not seen this thread at that point. I did suggest a new thread though! LOL.

BTW I have never seen a 3208 go 900,000 miles. Not to likely.

Gary

Posts: 19 | Location: Left Coast | Member Since: 07-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Itchintogo
posted Hide Post
Of course there are other items like coolant condition and hose condition etc that will add to life expectancy. Also there are some seals on the front of the engine you should pay attention to. I think there is a power steering cover that can weep a bit.

I would also put some Howes in it. The injection pump on your 3208 was not made for ULSD that we have today. Replacing some lubricity in the fuel for the pump and the injectors is a good idea that may save some big bucks. Some people use ATF I like Howes as it deals with water, gelling and lubricating. Have used it for about 30 years with good results.

i noticed the 900K post on your post not Sky. Maybe I am not getting the whole story.

Gary

Posts: 19 | Location: Left Coast | Member Since: 07-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Itchintogo
posted Hide Post
I bet your going to find it takes 23 or 24 quarts. Just my thoughts.

Gary

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
CAT makes filters and will show you a cutaway that compares theirs to aftermarket types. They can be found on Ebay and I am told they have some valving in them to prvent leak down when the engine is shut off. With the cost of a rebuild I prefer to use what they specify. I use one of the local CAT dealers and the difference in a fluids and filter change is about $75. Since they check for any updates and maintenance spec changes and inspect every single part I think I get good value. I also get oil and coolant analysis every time I change, which in the 3208 is two hundred hours.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Kevin I think they put 19 quarts in mine. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
My 93 with the 3208TA, 300HP has always taken exactly 20 quarts for an oil change. That includes changing the two oil filters.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Kendall makes Kendall.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Formulations tend to follow the brand; Shell owns Pennzoil, but I'd guess that the motor oil brands are still distinct. AFAIK, Kendall used very few rebranded products. Conoco licensed some Shell motor oils - I think Phillips 66 and Union '76 also had cross-licensing agreements.

Blending facilities are used by many different brands. IIRC, Shell's Norco plant blended and packaged for Amalie and Wolf's Head, and directly rebranded Shell X-100 for a major retailer.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nope - but the API service classes tell you what performance specs have been met.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Itchintogo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Nick you are right Thumbs Up cheers on the money with 20 quarts. Some similarity must exist in a few Barth Coaches! Sky yours is right too. Thumbs Up cheers Sky, you should have a smaller oil cooler above your oil filters. That is the reason yours is one quart smaller. It also does not have piston-cooling jets like Nick and I have in our 3208 Cat motors.

On to the transmission next.

Rusty, you should be happy with my lubricants supplier as he sells Conoco-Phillips, Chevron & Kendall Lubricants. Kendall is your favorite if I understand correctly. I did not know who made the Kendall label. I purchased a synthetic from them. It is recommended for Allison transmissions.

Thanks everyone for your input. The dipstick is right on too, but the handwriting on the air cleaner is wrong. confusion

Dang! I'll get it next time!

Gary