Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    batteries for generator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

batteries for generator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted
1975 barth 454 gas burner. Has two batteries for generator, just bought two new ones and gen won't even try to start, no click-nothing. Took ground cable off and cleaned it and it sparked when I put it back on.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
To begin with, new batteries should be charged fully before using. Then tested. Many battery companies use the customer as their quality control department.

There are a lot of ways of approaching this.

Lets simplify. Take a known good 12 volt battery and connect it to the genset with jumper cables. Neg to generator ground and pos to the heavy terminal on the genset where the battery cable connects. Start the generator from the panel there. If the generator starts, then we know it is good, and the problem is in the coach wiring or batteries.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Got the gen started but it blows fuse immediately

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
How did you get it started?

What generator do you have?

Which fuse blows?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
started if from two batteries that are in the back by the generator
Generator is a Generac 5000
Fuse is agc 30amp in fuse holder right above the fuel pump on the left side of the gen

Mary

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:
Generator is a Generac 5000

Mary, I have no Generac experience.

Hopefully others can help. I know a few here have Generacs.

1st month member
posted Hide Post
You can download the owner's manual straight from Generac's website for free. It sounds like you have a dead short or grounded positive line to the starter. Pull the cover on the front where the starter cable enters and look for a possible arc to ground. Is the cable chafed? If you find chafing, get some heat shrink tubing and repair the cable end. There is a cable running from the starter solenoid to the engine mounted starter through a metal engine shroud. Check the routing of that cable and look for chafing where it enters the shroud.
Good luck

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
The generator ran when I got the Barth about a month ago. Ed, I will check the things you mentioned sometime this weekend.
Once again thanks for the help and will keep you advised.

Mary

posted Hide Post
I just bought a 1975 barth today. trying to get the generator running. have been told to replace the battery, for the generator. but I can not find a separate place for the battery. can you help

Posts: 2 | Location: 7400 | Member Since: 06-24-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums!

The generator (genset) usually operates from the house battery.

Please tell us more aboout your coach, because locations vary based on year and model.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Melody:
I just bought a 1975 barth today. trying to get the generator running. have been told to replace the battery, for the generator. but I can not find a separate place for the battery. can you help

It is likely that you have two batteries close together. One will be your starting battery, the other the coach battery. The starting battery should be a standard automotive battery. The coach battery should be a deep cycle battery. More often, the coach battery is a dual purpose marine/RV battery. This is not as good as a true deep cycle or trolling battery, but is better than a standard automotive battery. If the coach battery is a standard automotive battery, it will not last very long if you camp without electrical hook ups. If you camp with electrical hook ups, a decent standard automotive battery will not be too bad, since discharge will be minimal.

I would not replace a battery until it is fully charged and tested.

Do you own a battery charger and a hydrometer?

Picture of Genie & Josh
posted Hide Post
Hello Mary! Our generator does not run either. What ended up being wrong with yours? Smiler
Jg

Posts: 12 | Location: Northwest Ilinois | Member Since: 01-15-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post