Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator oil Filter on 4.5 KCM21 RV
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator oil Filter on 4.5 KCM21 RV
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of scargo
posted
How do you locate the oil filter on your Kohler 4.5 KCM21 RV generator?

Posts: 17 | Location: Edwardsville, IL | Member Since: 11-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Could yours be a 4.5 CKM21-RV? That one has the K engine, which may or may not have a filter.

Don't know much about your 4.5, but on the 5.5 the bottom of the filter can be seen sticking through the sheet metal shrouding on the left (engine)side.

Lemme know if you need a picture.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The 3.6/4.0 have no filter

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
There are at least two 4.5s. One is a twin. One is not.

Which is yours?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
There are at least two 4.5s. One is a twin...
I just got off the phone with Greg, he's got a "twin" engine.

Here is the image he sent me Bill H

Here is where the filter on mine is located.

I use a NAPA 1348 Oil Filter

Mine is a larger engine. K582 Kohler 23 HP

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Mine is rather like yours.

We had a bunch of equipment at work with both Kohler and Onan twins. Having a Kohler, myself, I stared at the Kohlers now and then. I recall some had filters, and some didn't. I think the ones that had filters had them near the dipstick/filler, close to the engine fins. I have a picture of one in one of my manuals that shows the oil filter and some fins, but it is zoomed in too much to give an overall view. Kohler says if no filter, change oil every 25 hours.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
This may help:

http://www.buckeyepowersales.c...mentation/tp5060.pdf

I dont see one.

Neil

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scargo
posted Hide Post
Thanks one and all. I couldn't imagine a motor without a filter. This one kind of caught me by surprise. I will simply change the oil and hope for the best.
Cheers,

scargo

Posts: 17 | Location: Edwardsville, IL | Member Since: 11-23-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scargo:
I couldn't imagine a motor without a filter.

The early series K17 had only a splash/spray pump, hence no filter. Do you know the serial number of your engine? I'm gonna make a WAG here and say that Kohler decided that a constant speed engine was not stressed enough to need anything but a splash oil system. Honda still does that, even on variable speed engines. Neither of my three Honda portables have a filter. My 6K Honda RV genset (constant speed)does have a filter.

I called in to the grnd eqpt shop at work, but all the guys I knew who Knew Stuff retired.

I have never had lawn or garden equipment that had a filter. Motorcycles only started fairly recently with filters. They were optional with Harleys for a long time. Cars either had no filter or just a bypass filter for quite a while, too. I think it was late forties when US cars started with full flow, but quite a bit later when most were full flow. The VW beetle was really late in getting an oil filter at all, let alone a full flow one.

Light aircraft engines didn't get filters until early sixties, or so. They did have a screen, but it just told you it was too late, and it was time to cancel the next flight.