Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cummins 8.3 water pump replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cummins 8.3 water pump replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
It seems that seals don't last forever. My Monarch is a 98 model but the Spartan chassis was built in 4/95.

Last year a rear axle seal failed. We replaced the seals and rear brakes. This year a front axle seal began leaking. Replaced those seals and brakes. Last summer I replaced the fuel pump because a seal had failed and it was leaking fuel. Last week I had the cooling fan motor replaced because it was leaking at the shaft seal.

The engine had been losing small amounts of coolant for a while. I never saw a leak. In the past I have traced phantom coolant leaks to water pump seals. Sure enough, the last time I ran it the water pump was leaking. Time to change that too.

The Cummins 8.3 water pump is really easy to change. Easy access, you will need only 3/8 drive and 1/2 socket (actually 13mm but 1/2 fits nice and snug) The slowest parts were waiting for the coolant to drain and cleaning the engine block surface!

Remove the belt (just use 3/8 drive in the square hole in the tensioner to relax it and slip the belt off.) Then only 3 bolts.

The back side of the pump and adjacent block surface are fairly corroded. I used a scraper and sandpaper to clean the block, then painted the area. The bolt holes were corroded so I chased them out with a tap. (Metric 8mm x 1.25)

There is an o-ring that seals the pump to the block. Install the o-ring on the pump, then bolt the new pump in place. Remount the belt and you are ready to fill and run. As you can see, the pump part # is 181811.

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
That was a very good write up Thumbs Up

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post