Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wiring for 1970 25'
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wiring for 1970 25'
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of junk_2_jewels
posted
All hands on deck

I am starting my restore on a 1970 barth coach. I had ordered the CD a while back but didnt see what I need. My coach is one of the oldest one on this forum and any help would greatly appreciated.

Here is the problem:
I need to get a idea where everything is connected for wiring. The squirrels and rats have made a mess of things. I just want to focus on the running of the engine and then move on to the rest. I downloaded a couple wiring diagrams on the net for a 1970 Chevy truck and that might work. any ideas?

Also I would like to disconnect the rest of the cabin so the thing doesn't catch on fire and just focus on the running of the engine.

I took some picture of the engine before the critters so that is helping

Thanks

Randy
Junk to Jewels

Posts: 8 | Location: Southern California | Member Since: 05-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like quite the undertaking ....best wishes and kudos for taking it on .

You will be able to start from scratch and build it to your liking . Wiring isn't too difficult , just time consuming ...enjoy and have fun with it Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
RV wiring is notoriously variable but the GM stuff should be fairly straightforward. I'm pretty sure by 70 they had alternators (not generators) and HEI ignition. Also no electric fuel pump?

You will need heavy cables from battery to ground and starter.

Another good sized cable from alternator output to + terminal. Some smaller wires from the alternator to the regulator (if it has one) and switched power from key switch.

A main power wire to the key switch. Provides power to the distributor/ignition coil and alternator, and powers the starter solenoid for cranking.

Disconnect everything else. Label for reattachment later.

This should allow cranking and running. No guages, lights, etc. Depending on your setup you may have to hook a wire to an electric choke heater, etc.

Assuming you then plan to move it, you will need brake lights. Depending on the OEM wiring, the brake circuit often routes through the turn signal switch to piggyback onto the the rear lamps. If you apply power to the brake light switch you may be able to back feed from there. Otherwise you will have to find the original tail light wires and connect them to the brake switch and a power source from the battery.

It is often quicker to completely replace a wiring harness rather than waste time troubleshooting ancient wires. It doesn't have to be done all at once. Whenever you work on stuff, replace any wiring that looks flaky.

Hopefully your main fuse panel wiring is still usable. If not, you will have to rewire each circuit from a switched or hot source, through a new fuse and out to the circuit. Tedious.

Good luck with your project.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk_2_jewels
posted Hide Post
Thanks

So I am guessing this model does not have a starter solenoid since I am not seeing one. I found the battery Isolator and will not connect it to the side that goes to the rear batteries. I believe I have drums brakes all around and No power Brakes or steering.

Also I believe the coach is a 1972. The windshields has a few rock chips but it is the rubber that would need to be replaced. I was hoping to have the windshields made somewhere I don't think they will survive being removed to replace the rubber gaskets.

I do have a question if anyone knows it. I found in the engine not hocked up to anything was a 4" 5/8 rubber hose and had a plastic line attached to it. might be going inside the cab. What is this for?

Posts: 8 | Location: Southern California | Member Since: 05-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk_2_jewels
posted Hide Post
Thanks

The cab wiring is pretty much in tact. I found a few wiring eaten away but was able to easily repair. Most of the wiring are dry and brittle. the fuse box looks good and I found the main power wiring to the ignition switch broken or cut. Under the dog house is a mess and the hood compartment. There is a six prong connector around the engine compartment which i believe might be for the rear lights but is discounted, still working on that.

I do have electric fuel pumps for both tanks but not sure if there were added later. I will inspect for mechanical fuel pump maybe it was replace at one time.

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
RV wiring is notoriously variable but the GM stuff should be fairly straightforward. I'm pretty sure by 70 they had alternators (not generators) and HEI ignition. Also no electric fuel pump?

You will need heavy cables from battery to ground and starter.

Another good sized cable from alternator output to + terminal. Some smaller wires from the alternator to the regulator (if it has one) and switched power from key switch.

A main power wire to the key switch. Provides power to the distributor/ignition coil and alternator, and powers the starter solenoid for cranking.

Disconnect everything else. Label for reattachment later.

This should allow cranking and running. No guages, lights, etc. Depending on your setup you may have to hook a wire to an electric choke heater, etc.

Assuming you then plan to move it, you will need brake lights. Depending on the OEM wiring, the brake circuit often routes through the turn signal switch to piggyback onto the the rear lamps. If you apply power to the brake light switch you may be able to back feed from there. Otherwise you will have to find the original tail light wires and connect them to the brake switch and a power source from the battery.

It is often quicker to completely replace a wiring harness rather than waste time troubleshooting ancient wires. It doesn't have to be done all at once. Whenever you work on stuff, replace any wiring that looks flaky.

Hopefully your main fuse panel wiring is still usable. If not, you will have to rewire each circuit from a switched or hot source, through a new fuse and out to the circuit. Tedious.

Good luck with your project.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junk_2_jewels:
Thanks

Also I believe the coach is a 1972. The windshields has a few rock chips but it is the rubber that would need to be replaced. I was hoping to have the windshields made somewhere I don't think they will survive being removed to replace the rubber gaskets.

The date is important. Before about Oct 72, the windshields were smaller and are not available anywhere we know of. After late 72 they used DW730 and DW731 windshields which are still available.

see here: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...283989487#4283989487

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post