Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Stone Bennett Air Shifter..
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Stone Bennett Air Shifter..
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
I was looking around for transmission selector information/configurations and problems, if any, and came across a mention of the " Stone Bennett Air Shifter ".

This was new to me.. When I read a post that talked about its operation, it reminded me of a shifter type that was used in a ferry boat on SF bay ( my daughter was a deckhand and I rode that ferry regularly and knew all the staff..). I remember the various captains 'clicking a toggle control up and down' for different throttle needs. Sounds like the same system described here
( https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...871098472#3871098472 ) last post in thread..
After doing a little more research, I see that it was used on some Regency's w/Cat/DD diesels. A few questions if you would please:

-Years of use in Barths? optional at higher cost?
-used in certain models or specific engines/transmissions only?
-reliability from those of you who have or had this control system and currently use it regularly?
-when and if in need of repair, service easily found..?
-when using it on the road, any special considerations when braking or other motivating actions?
-any other info and tidbits of interest appreciated..

very curious about this type of system..

tnx,

Mike W

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
http://www.coachconversioncent...com/stonebennett.htm

Stone Bennett is now consolidated with Froude Consine Inc.

Quote: LED indicator brightens in daylight and dims at night for easier readability.
Range Selector Control available in 12 and 24 volt
*Don't have a Detroit Diesel 6V92, 8V71 or 8V92?
No problem, we have a general purpose throttle control cylinder that may be adapted to your engine.

http://www.coachconversioncentral.com/airthrottle.htm

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The stone bennett was an air shifter for use with the 6 and 700 series allison. Replaced running a cable to the rear. Also just had a toggle switch by the driver.

We had one in the Newell with the Allison 740 and never had a problem. The coach had about 300K miles when we sold it.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Stone Bennett used in many other coaches and is very reliable.

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post