Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Allison Shifter Pad/ECU Problem?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Allison Shifter Pad/ECU Problem?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted
Well, no sooner did I get one problem fixed (the generator), I ran into another. I have a MD3060 trans in our Barth and did a search on the forums and got some idea that my problem may be with the ECU? I am no mechanic and have no idea where to start, so here is my story:
Went out yesterday to move the coach to it's winter storage. Started right up and everything is good. Went out to get a few things while the coach was warming up and returned to a burning smell inside the coach. Started doing a quick seek and search, but couldn't find the source. Went outside and found no smell of anything burning. Figured okay, it must be inside the coach. Came back in and still smelled the same but couldn't locate anything. Sat in the drivers seat and went to put the coach in reverse and noticed that the keypad was blank. Nothing showing on the keypad! Major concern as it had never done this before so I shut the coach down. Wait a minute or so and turn the key back on and I have nothing. No keypad, no red lights on dash, no ignition, nothing. I then notice a slight whisp of smoke coming from the keypad. Okay, I think I know where the burning smell is coming from. Pull the side cover off the console where the shifter keypad is located and the only thing I see is a box directly mounted under the keypad. The whisp of smoke has stopped already.
So here is where I am right now: Is this box under the keypad my ECU? Any idea what might have happened? Any advice where to start to try to trouble shoot this problem? I cannot start the coach as it is right now so I can't take it to a repair shop. It's dead in our driveway. And after my last repair bill for the problem found (see my other post today), I'd like to try to see if I can find the problem and fix it myself with the help of those here.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Bruce, I am VERY concerned about this issue. If in fact the smoke came out of the shifter panel or the TCU, Not much you can do about this except replace the panel or TCU, BUT the main question is-----WHY-----

This is the earlier model shifter panel and TCU, don't think they are available from Allison, and would have to be rebuilt. Will not be inexpensive.

Anything else around the shifter panel or TCU that smoke could come from?

Now that there is no power to start or power the instrument panel, some breaker or fuse has blown but look VERY CAREFULLY before replacing the fuse/breaker as further damage could be done.

My shifter panel was replaced by the PO but I have no idea why or what the symptoms were.

Go slow

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Our control for the Allison went a couple of years ago. Came to start it in the fall---no lights in the pad and nothing happened when I turned on the key. There had been no issues prior to this-- it just happened( I didn't even get a smoke show!!)
As Ed says, this is not an inexpensive thing to have happen.
Replacement part has worked well since.

Good Luck

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I went through the same problem with my shifter (ECU). There is a discussion on that at My ECU Problem

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
All
I am currious about this... do you guys have a Stone Bennett shifter? I have a Stone Bennett and it sometimes sticks when I try to toggle to another gear. When I hit the toggle 2 or 3 times... it moves to the proper selection. I am hoping it is not a sign of a future failure and we get stuck somewhere. I believe mine is air activated.

Jax
1990 32' Regency, Cummins 8.3

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Post pic of your shift pad and trans control unit.I may be able to help you out on the cheep! The first thing is to follow harness looking for chaffing ect. find your fues and relay and inspect. 15yr. working on them an never had the smoke escape from the shifter HaHa! Jax most issues with stone ar ground issues at the trans shift arm. also the contacts inside . Be CAREFUL part ar hard to find!!
carl

Posts: 14 | Location: n.c | Member Since: 04-30-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally got to tearing my shifter apart to find the key pad smoked (literally per my previous post). The circuit board is black in one corner, obvious from where I saw the smoke rising from. Checked all the wiring going to the ECU and it all seems to be in tact with no damage. Sent both components away for testing and estimate to repair. They said it looks like something got down into the ECU at some time and then slowly started corroding it. And the smoking of the unit was the final outcome.
Now, the bad and worse news...
He tells me a remanufactured shifter panel and ECU is $3500 and if I want a "new" one, $4700. What? Hey, but the guy tells me that it includes programming it for the Barth, like that is supposed to make me feel good. So I ask how much is it to program the unit? He says $100! I tell him I just got to find my own replacement...
H-E-L-P!!!

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Check with Ted at www.tktsales.com. If it is allison related he is a great source.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
As Ed says, this is not an inexpensive thing to have happen
bud@YXY

quote:
Will not be inexpensive.
MWRENCH

quote:
He tells me a remanufactured shifter panel and ECU is $3500 and if I want a "new" one, $4700
Steve VW

Definitely need to check with bud's "replacement part" resource.

Tere Big Grin

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Maybe one from a wrecked one? Colaws in MO sells RV parts of all kinds and disassembles wrecked coaches
Hope you and the coach get back on the road to recovery.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Http://Colawrvsalvage.com
They got Allison ECUs (price?)

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hey Bruce, sorry to hear of all your troubles.

Make sure you get and keep a record of all the numbers on the control unit and display unit. The MD3060 has gone thru transformations over the years and not all the electronics will be backward compatible.

The display panel on mine was replaced by the PO and at that time it was $1200. I don't know why or what happened that triggered the replacement.

Good luck in your search and have a speedy recovery!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gary for the lead. Ted at TKT is the man! He will be hooking me up with a replacement controller and key pad later this week. Price for both, refurbished with 1 year warranty, is $1350. And that includes programming it for our Breakaway.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

Great News and a lot better $$$ money than expected

Just curious how they program to your rig. What info did he need to do that?

I am going to contact him to find out what/if/how I can do about getting DBarth to move when it is below 45 degrees! head bang

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1387 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Check with Ted at www.tktsales.com. If it is allison related he is a great source.

If you have read some of the other posts on Allison MD-3060 6 speed. DBarth would not shift to any gear if it was below 45 degrees.

Suggestions included RPM over threshold to shift because of temp.
Tranny to cold.

Emailed Ted and he suggested sending the key pad and ECU for replacement with rebuilt or evaluation by putting in the freezer. This got me thinking maybe as simple as warming these parts above 45 degrees.

We got over a foot of snow that took down many trees and branches and made it like a mega snowball fight with someone trowing ice pail sized snowballs to get to DBarth this morning. 36 degrees and I wrapped a small 12 volt heating pad around the ECU and keypad. DBarth would not shift before applying heat. 10 minutes and it shifted to reverse and forward with little hesitation.

So unbelievably simple. Heat the Key pad and ECU. I will make or modify a small 12 volt heater/tape or something. Such a simple easy thing having me pulling my hair out for 2 years.

Saves me much $$$$$$ to be used for other projects. I know there were others with a similar issue here is the FIX!!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1387 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post