Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Headers - Bank$ Alternative
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Headers - Bank$ Alternative
 Login now/Join our community

1st month member
posted
I've been searching for a cheaper alternative to Banks stainless headers. The only problem that I have with the chrome Thorleys is the chrome which will rust. The ceramic coated headers are supposed to last 10 times longer than chrome and keep engine compartment temps a lot cooler. I've found some Hedman ceramic coated headers for the '85 454 for only $268.98 with free shipping from Jegs. Their # is 1-800-345-4545.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Eddie, I believe Thorley warrants theirs for life, as long as you don't use a heat wrap.

How long are the tubes on the Hedmans? I believe they have 3 inch collectors, which is a little large for motor home service. The Thorleys have 2 1/2 inch, which is still a trifle large. Wish they had 2 1/4 inch.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
These are supposed to have a lifetime warranty also. As long as I don't have to pull them out in the next 5 years or before I buy a diesel. The big deal is the ceramic coating to keep down the heat in the engine compartment. I'm planning on wrapping them also. The only problem with shielding over many miles heat saturation comes into play and starts cooking everything. I'm also going to use copper embossed gaskets and Stage 8 fasteners to keep it from leaking. These have the same 3/8" flange with 14 ga. tubing as the Thorleys. I'm not sure of the tube size, hopefully they are the smaller 2.5" for better torque.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Eddie, the problem of excessive doghouse heat is at its worst after shutdown, when there is no air flow. I believe you already have an electric aux cooling fan. If it is on a thermostat, it will run after shutdown to avoid the heat soak.

Any header is going to be less of a heater than the cast iron manifolds.

In a perfect world, Thorleys would have ceramic coating.

I checked the Hedman site. Their collectors are 3 inches, a little big for MH use. Nothing on length there.

So far, the gasket supplied with the Thorleys haven't leaked. I should get out there and retorque, though.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post