Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Go looking for trouble
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Go looking for trouble
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted
Go looking for trouble. Otherwise entitled, "The 33 year maintenance interval".

Happily, with Barth rigs, we are capable of having these problems. The problems of "old age" are an annoyance, but the alternative involves the phrase "forever young".

So, at my "33 year maintenance interval" I have some pictures that I want to share with you. I was fortunate to find these in my yard, rather than on the road. If I'd found them on the road, probably it would involve an unscheduled stop.

There is an intake manifold that rotted through. There are cracks in brackets. There are hose clamps that have been used far past their intended lifetime.

At this service point, go looking for trouble, because trouble is looking for you!
Happy motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Intake

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
This is a very good reminder for more thorough inspections . Mechanic

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the choke wire....

Chevrolet 454

choke wire damage

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AC bracket cracked....

Chevrolet 454

AC bracket crack

posted Hide Post
exhaust collector flange crack...

Chevrolet 454

collector flange crack

posted Hide Post
hose clamp pulling apart....

Chevrolet 454

hose clamp failure 1

posted Hide Post
hose clamp rust through....

Chevrolet 454

hose clamp failure 2

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Looking for trouble indeed. Even after replacing alternator and some hoses, things still looked like this:

You can see the rust alongside the carb.

I painted mine up:

With fuel injection, stock manifold ran better than carburetor.

Be careful, you can get carried away with this...

By the time I got everything "cleaned up" and running right I had:

454HO fuel injected 400+ hp crate engine. Forged crank, rods, pistons, 4 bolt mains. HT502 roller cam, steel cam chain. Aluminum high rise manifold. Thorley headers.

I REALLY liked that engine. And then, of course, I sold it. head bang

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve! I like how you got carried away! That helps to inspire me!
thanks,
Matt

Chevrolet 454

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve, what did you use for the air intake on your air cleaner? I see it's orange. "Nameless" doesn't have anything and I thought about aluminum flexible tubing but I don't think that will work. Old Blue had some that looked like yours and it attached to a box behind the front bumper.
Jim (aka Hum)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
That is aviation hose. They call it SCAT hose. It is the highest temp rating. Silicone rubber virtually non flammable. Good stuff, lasts forever.

Available from Aircraft Spruce supply. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Found it.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Nice to see pix again. Is PB up and running again or do we have a new way of posting pix? I'm doing an experiment with my entry wall and would like to show some pix.

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Pb is still down as to receiving new photos.

The pictures I used here were old ones that are already in the PB collection. The links from here still work. I went back to my old threads and copied the links to this thread.

If you go to PB you will see all our old pictures. If you try to link from there, PB will only give you the http link that directts you to their PB page. If you modify the http link and change it to an [IMG] link they will display here as usual.

The problem with PB is in receiving new photos. We used to be able to email the photo to PB. PB then resized the photos and returned them via links in our threads. I am guessing but I believe PB has changed their protocol to only allow those with PB accounts to upload and link. I suspect they had security issues allowing anyone to load photos without password or ID.

This would make it more like F-book, where every user must have an account and password. That is fine if we are all already on F-book and using it directly. The problem seems when we users of this site try to upload directly to PB, PB will not accept our photos without a PB account.

I think PB may have redefined their Terms of Service. My guess is we will probably never be able to upload new photos like we used to. Our old ones are secure. Apparently only Bill is allowed to upload new photos or edit our old PB photos. I have been trying for four months with no success.

Sooo, directly uploading to this site is our only option at this point. We have avoided site costs by storing photos at PB and I have tried to use PB when possible but it no longer works. Bill will have to decide how he wants things done now. head bang wack Deadhorse

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I've uploaded some pictures directly to the site. I resize them to 32 kb which is a pretty small size. I've been told this costs the site money. I'm willing to pay a monthly fee for being able to do this and having others do the same. If that's the way Bill wants to go, perhaps it's the simple thing. I think most of us will be willing to pay the cost, but maybe I'm wrong.
Jim (aka Hum)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B