Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Water Temperature Sensor Location
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water Temperature Sensor Location
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted
I recently ordered a new Water Temperature Sensor from Spartan but after numerous tries I cannot locate where on the engine block it goes. Does anyone know exactly where it is located on a Cummins 5.9 liter engine? Better still if someone has a picture of the location I would really appreciate it.

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The coolant sensor is normally located in a thermostat housing or in the head. There "should be" two of these. One is for an idiot light and the other is for the gauge.

I'm on vacation in SC now, but if no one has an answer for you b4 I return home, I'll look it up for you when I get back.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Bill, Where in SC are you? Did I miss you again.
Did you bring the Barth?

Neil.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil T.:
Bill, Where in SC are you?.
Cal-A-Bash, NC
quote:
Did I miss you again.
Here `til Fri-day
quote:
Did you bring the Barth?
Nope

Just praktason my NC answers. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Here ya go Carl.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Thank you MVWrench!!

I really appreciate the help.

P.S. We just left San Juan Bautista and are currently in Coarsegold.

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are welcome!

I wish I had known that, you were less then 60 miles from me!

Will you be in the area for awhile or are you heading away?

We are heading to Nebraska sometime around the 25th of July, the outbound trip we will take diversions but the return will be straight back around Aug 9.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Hi MV Wrench,

I located the temperature sensor but the replacement from spartan (image attached) has two snap connectors whereas mine has a single screwpost.

One of wires in a wire bundle went to the screwpost of the sensor positioned as you show in your picture. I followed the second wire in the wire bundle and it went to a 2nd sensor with a screwpost which is neatly hidden behind the alternator (see attached picture).

Which sensor should I leave in place and which one should I replace? Does it matter which wire attaches to the left or right snap connector? From the description on the package I am guessing that one side is a temperature sensor and the other is a warning sensor. What do you recommend?

Also ... as an aside. There are 3 snap connectors on my alternator (inside the blue pentagon). TWO of them are attached to wires with snap connectors but there is a third snap connector (which is rusty from exposure). There is also a 3rd set of wires with a snap connector that is just flopping in the breeze and I am wondering if it has any function. The alternator was replaced about 1998 and may be a different model. Not having it connected doesn't seem to have any affect but I was just curious if you knew anything about it.

We will be in Coarsegold for a couple of weeks before heading Northeastly but have a flexible schedule if you want to coordinate a meeting on your trip to Nebraska.

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Disconnect one of the sensors and ground out the wire that was attached to said sensor.

With the key on... If you see the idiot light come on, or if the temp gauge pegs, then you'll know which one is for which sensor.

In regards to the 2 vs 1 terminal... You would run the second blade (doesn't matter which) to a very good engine ground source. The closer the better.

[edit: 7/13]On the new sending unit, you will see 2 letters.
G
L or W

The G goes to the Gauge.
The L or W goes to the idiot light/warning buzzer.

You have a 2 stage sending unit there. This sensor does double duty as both an idiot light and a Gauge sender.

When I went back and looked at your picture it shows "TEMP SENSOR W WARN CONTA..." This made me call Spartan and I asked about the sender. My suspicions were confirmed about it being a 2 stage sender.

You still test it the same way as stated above with grounding out your wires. You just don't run an extra ground wire from the unused terminal. Or, you use the other terminal with an idiot light in the dash.
[/end edit]

Wiring for the alternator... that could be an idiot light or an exciter post. Some alternators send out a signal for the tach on an alternator plug. Some even use a switching device to control something else. I really wouldn't worry about it as you've gone several years without it being plugged in anyway.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
AHHH ... now I know what you meant by there being 2 sensors in your earlier post. The only problem is that I don't have an idiot light, only a temperature gauge, however, I will follow your instructions and see what happens.

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

posted Hide Post
HI Carl:

I don't have that sensor with the single terminal, only the sensor that I took a picture of.

I changed the alternator to a 200 amp alternator and it is a single wire alternator, so all connections to the previous alternator were bundled up out of the way and I don't remember where they all went.

If you pull the wires out a bit of the smurf tubing, they will have ID on them and that should tell you where they go, I will look at mine tomorrow and post a comment.

You may not have an idiot light but may have an over temp light and that single terminal sensor may be the switch for that. It would be in the annunciator panel, I have one but it has never worked and I attributed that to the fact that the warning portion of the sensor wasn't working and I haven't bothered to change it out.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ED.

Comments from both you and that renegade "Bill from NY" have been VERY helpful.

I appreciate all your comments and will be utilizing all your advice.

My wife, "Ol Betsy" , has told me that your correct handle is MWrench, not MV Wrench. Sorry about that.

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
P.S. What is an annunciator panel? ... and where is it?

P.P.S. If you wouldn't mind sharing your itinerary to Nebraska let us know by email and we can try to hook up.cferen@ferenandcompany.com

Carl

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Carl, three additional item...

Thumbs Up ... If space permits, use a "deep well" socket and ratchet to avoid distortion.
Thumbs Up ... Use a thread sealer on the sensor for sealing.

Thumbs Down ... Do not over tighten the sensor as this could cause improper readings.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Carl... I just got off the phone with Spartan. I need you to look at the black porcelain area of your sender.

You will see 2 letters.
G
L or W

The G goes to the Gauge.
The L or W goes to the idiot light/warning buzzer.

You have a 2 stage sending unit there. This sensor does double duty as both an idiot light/warning buzzer and as a Gauge sender.

When I went back and looked at your picture it shows "TEMP SENSOR W WARN CONTA..." This made me call Spartan and I asked about the sender. My suspicions were confirmed about it being a 2 stage sender.

You still test it the same way as stated above with grounding out your wires. You just don't run an extra ground wire from the unused terminal. Or, you use the other terminal with an idiot light/warning buzzer.

I'll go an edit my above post so someone who may stumble onto this will not be misinformed.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis