Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    oil temp
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

oil temp
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted
is anyone running a oil temp gauge on there 454 and if so what kind of temps are you seeing? Mine is running in the 220 range and it makes me nervous? Do not have a oil cooler only trans which runs with the engine temp @ 195.

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 296 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
220°F is normal (speaking as a lube engineer, not a 454 owner). You want it least that warm to boil off water.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Hey rp! We had a similar problem with our breakaway water temp gauge except that it never went above 115 degrees. Spartan told us that as long as the gauge was giving some kind of reading then it was most likely the temp sensor, which it was. We replaced it and presto everything fell into line.

Before replacing it we ran some tests that BillNY suggested. (1) He told us to ground out each of the the sensors (one to the gauge & the other to the warning light) If they pegged the gauge and lit the warning light then the wires to the sensor were good. (2) If they did not function as just described then the wire was bad and to check for corrosion on the wires and either clean or replace the wire(s). Replace the sensor(s) only after running the above tests.

I hope this helps.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard, I've got the transmission oil temp gauge in our 88 with 454. It has indicated high every since we got it. It had one transmission cooler in addition to the radiator circuit. I added another, it didn't change the temp gauge much. I went to a transmission shop I've had experience with and respect. They checked it over drove it, serviced it and changed it over to Castrol synthetic at my request but found nothing out of the ordinary with the transmission. The head man said the gauge was out of calibration. He suggested taking the "ordinary conditions" driving temperature indication and consider it normal and look for deviations from that. I have gone back to the same fellow for two subsequent summers now and had him check the characteristics and fluid which he judges not out of the ordinary and declined to suggest changing the fluid yet. He said he would change it if I wanted but considered it unnecessary. This same fellow rebuilt the transmission on our 454 1976 23 ft Barth and I have considerable respect for his knowledge and professionalism. Bottom line is the gauge continues to indicate over 200 in normal driving conditions and the transmission does not seem to have suffered any ill effects and performs beautifully. We do a lot of mountain driving and I am always aware of the gauge but have stopped worrying about it.

1987 Newell ~ 40ft Widebody
2x f/o's: 1988 Barth - 33 Ft. SE tag axle & 1976 Barth - 24 Ft.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think rp is referring to crankcase oil temp. 220°F for a tranny is a bit high, but still safe.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post