Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Progress
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Progress
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of snakedriver
posted
Hello folks, I wanted to share some progress updates. I got my 1972 25' Barth running and driving! So far, I've done the following:

drain and flush the gas tank
new fuel pumps, electric and mechanical
new spin-on fuel filter
rebuild quadrajet carburetor
new air cleaner assembly
replace battery

new brake master cylinder
new rear brake rubber hose
bleed brakes

It started right up and runs down the road pretty good! The tires are pretty rough, with weather cracks and low pressure, so I'm probably going to replace them soon. My next project is to put a serpentine belt system on the engine, most likely from a 96+ S-10 truck. I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow morning to find a suitable donor vehicle. I'll post pics as I go. I'm still trying to figure out Photobucket, lol.

1972 Barth 25', 402 big block, TH400 transmission, work in progress!

Posts: 21 | Location: Stafford VA | Member Since: 11-13-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of snakedriver
posted Hide Post
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/bertcarrier/embed/slideshow/">

Posts: 21 | Location: Stafford VA | Member Since: 11-13-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Hey Snakedriver Click here for more information on how to get your slide show done.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this what you want to share?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might have it for you.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Interesting project! Thumbs Up

Be careful with those windshields. There are no replacements available. Worse yet, no one has been able to determmine what their OEM application was other than early Barth coaches pre 1973.

I would strongly recommend replacing all brake lines and front hoses.

good luck keep us posted

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey snake driver!

Take a look at my character string, by using the "Quotes" above the "Reply to this topic" box and you can see how it was done. I do not know how to change the width, but our gracious host BILL NY might be able to tell us. Thanks for the slide show. Keep up the work on that Barth!

Cheers

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
To borrow from Kipling, "you're a braver man than I Gunga Din ."
Keep us posted

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of snakedriver
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks! I appreciate the kind words, especially the Kipling quote.

Picture of snakedriver
posted Hide Post
Here's another one that's stuck in my mind "I wanted a project, and for my sins, I was given one. And when it was over, I'd never want another..." -Capt. Willard, Apocalypse Now

Picture of snakedriver
posted Hide Post
I spent most of the day Saturday in the junkyard pulling parts for a serpentine belt conversion. I originally planned to use an adapter kit to retrofit a serpentine system from a 4.3 S10 truck. Apparently it's rare to find a big block with a serpentine setup.

So I spent about 6 hours Saturday pulling apart an S10 and as I was pushing my wheelbarrow full of parts out of the junkyard, I spotted a 1999 3/4 ton Suburban. And wouldn't you know, it had a 454. Score!

Picture of snakedriver
posted Hide Post
I took the entire serpentine setup and also grabbed the aluminum valve covers. It all seems to be bolting up nicely. I had to cut the power steering pressure line off of the Barth, it was seized tight. So I need to find a pressure line before I continue. I got this far before dark on Sunday:

posted Hide Post
Nice PROGRESS!

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Mechanic Thumbs Up

Nice job. It looks like you will be taking over the gas puller threads. Now that I am side tracked with the diesel Monarch, it is good to know the big blocks are alive and well.

Good plan with the serpentine belt. The old setup was a nightmare. I now have 2 V belts and one ribbed belt, but they did not fit a tensioner so the ribbed belt must be adjusted frequently. I plan to install a tensioner soon.

You will be glad of your efforts when you start taking trips and hopefully have no mechanical issues.

Bravo, keep us posted.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post