Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    HELP!! I'm literally stuck!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

HELP!! I'm literally stuck!
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Bulldog Daddy
posted
OK, this is embarassing and the first of many problems to come I am sure of it! The engine was running and the parking brake on - the transmission was shifted into reverse - and then the key/engine was turned off. Now.. there is no air pressure in the breaks - and obviously I cannot start the coach in reverse and cannot figure out how to get back to nuetral or park. I am feeling pretty stupid right now but need to get it moved so any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 3 | Location: Fremont, CA | Member Since: 07-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure you will have to get under the coach and manually shift the transmission into neutral in order to start the engine.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Hey Bulldog Daddy

Nick is right, you will need to crawl under the coach. From the passenger side you will crawl to the tranny, the shift lever(about 4" long) will be pointing down, push that lever all the way forward, then bring back 1 click, that SHOULD be neutral.

Then try your key at the dash and you should be able to start, if it is not in neutral, keep moving that lever 1 click at a time until you find neutral.

NEVER attempt to shift until the airpressure has been completely built up.

(Tom is making the assumption that you have an Allison tranny - hope this works.....)

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
If it's the Allison then climb-on-under ...a very easy *fix* ...did-it myself more than once!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bulldog Daddy
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the advice. I was able to fill the air tank for the brakes with the air compressor on my personal truck and get the trans back into neutral. I will have to learn how to do it the way you all suggested by manually shifting the transmission so I know how to do it if it happens again. I love this site and look forward to learning from all your expertise, this is a new exciting adventure for me!

Posts: 3 | Location: Fremont, CA | Member Since: 07-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post