Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gas Tank & Engine Access KEY (1994 Regency)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gas Tank & Engine Access KEY (1994 Regency)
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My Barth has an unusal key that opens the gas access door and the engine compartment. The actual key looks like a nub of small tube. I believe it is hexagonally configured on the inside of the unit.

I just bought my Barth and only have one key. Is there a source to get addtional keys of this type?

Thanks!

John Jacobson

Posts: 28 | Location: So. California | Member Since: 10-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
if it looks like the same keys that vending machines use, it is readily available from a locksmith.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Breakaway has similar keys for all the outside compartments, and as MaryRay said, they're fairly common.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
John,

You are describing a Southco hollow key. They are readily available from Southco. They sent me one for free, but even if you had to pay for them, they are not expensive. I think you need key # E-3-26-715-15. I would contact them first with a description of your key however.

Go to www.southco.com.
Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill and Georgene,

Thank you very much for the info on Southco.com. I will contact them today via email.

Your coach is just gorgeous!!! Being new to Barth, I am very much impressed by these coaches and the care so many owners show for their coaches.

Are you happy with your toad? We want to buy something but not sure what would be the best. We are both 60 years old, still working, but our budget is a little strained after just buying the Barth. Would you have any suggestions as what to look for in a toad in a vehicle circa 1990. From what I understand it has to be a manual xmission to be able to tow it on all four tires? Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the link and kudos yet once again on such a pristine coach.

John Jacobson

Posts: 28 | Location: So. California | Member Since: 10-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
John...

I recently replaced a number of my compartment locks from southco.

I worked-with Becky Balcavage via the Internet in placing this order ...Becky was very helpful.

The replacement key for my 1990 Regency is: E3-5-15.

It looks-like your locks are gray in color which may equate to the E3-35-37 which is not made any longer. The replacement lock is now black in color and it's number is: E3-35-35. You can also get a free sample of a compartment lock if you might "need" to replace any and just want to check-them-out.

They will send-you up to 2 sample keys if you pay the shipping.

Email-me at rmortis7@earthlink.net if you have any further questions regarding my recent experience with southco.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"it has to be a manual xmission to be able to tow it on all four tires?"

Nope. I have had a Remco driveshaft disconnect on three rear-wheel-drive-W/automatic trans fullsize toads and they work great. Some folks (myself) are not content driving an uncomfortable/tiny/ugly auto "because it is good for towing".

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
John,

Until this model year(2007), the Honda Accord could be be towed four wheels down without any modifications. I simply hook it up run the automatic transmission through the gears and end in neutral. I then leave the key in the accessory position and hit the road. I have towed our 2004 V6 over 8000 miles and barely notice it on the back of the Barth.

Saturns, some Jeeps and Suzuki's are all towable, four wheels down with automatics.

FMCA puts out a towing guide each year and the Remco website has info on toads to tow four whees down.

I also like the color scheme on your Barth, is it original? Generally Barth kept their patterns more geometric, however, Barth really was a custom coach, so anthing is feasable.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
ALL 4 WHEEL DRIVE vehicles with a transfer case are towable. We tow a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that was not expensive. See my post in the general discussion and wait for the experts to add thier expertice.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
A 10 year old thread, so just asking a quick question on compartment keys....

quote:
Originally posted by Bill G:
John,

You are describing a Southco hollow key. They are readily available from Southco. They sent me one for free, but even if you had to pay for them, they are not expensive. I think you need key # E-3-26-715-15. I would contact them first with a description of your key however.

Go to www.southco.com.
Bill G

Would that be the complete Key number that is shown below if it wasn't #$%&@ drilled through?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
John,

I towed a 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (auto trans) with my 1985 Barth Regency and it towed very well, did not even know it was back there.
It is strange to tow a vehicle with the gear selector in Park, however the transfer selector has to be in neutral.
Another plus is the mileage doesn't register when the transfer case is in neutral. Also you have to leave the ignition key in the accessary position so the steering wheel is free.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Found them on Amazon.. Southco E3-26-715-15 is for sale but is $$'s..

the new number is E3-5-15 (mentioned in the above link) it's reasonable New Number E3-5-15..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Bought the E3-5-15 from Amazon at the beginning of the year. The key fit all the storage compartments and fuel lid on my '92 Breakaway.
Suggestion: Buy an extra key and keep accessible near the entrance door. You can then grab this individual key to access storage and fuel door without having to shut the engine down. Engines and electronics "prefer" not to be stopped/started.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Unless your ignition is worn like mine. Then you can just take out the key without shutting down!

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Quinn, You can get a new and key with matching ignition switch at tractor supply. It is a standard on off and starter control switch.

Ted, keeping the SouthCo key hung inside the door is what the previous owner told me also. I never shut the bus down when refueling either. Thanks for sharing the idea of a handy fuel door key. It never occurred to me to post this idea since Bud told me to do keep the keys separated.

Quinn, also you should take other keys off of your ignition key and keep the ignition key separate. Thumbs Up cheers

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post