Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    anyone know what this pump is?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

anyone know what this pump is?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Capt Bob
posted
fixed alot of little things today and noticed now when i turn on ignition i hear something running so i check it out and this is what i found, this is off of my 84-35ft regency with 8.2 dd

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Posts: 115 | Location: West Central Florida | Member Since: 10-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Vacuum pump?

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Compressor for air horns or air suspension?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
It is a vacuum pump (motor) made by Gast.
It is used to operated the doors on the HVAC system Here is a thread about me replacing mine. .

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
With a pump that ugly, it should be made by A---Gast!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
Well it does seem to be a Gast and now i can change my vents from defrosters to the vents, sounds like it is fillins a tank also, my cruise control didnt usto work maybe this may help and it feels like i can feel the suspension being adjusted , is this for suspension also and if so what will i notice different about my ride, i thought it rode very smooth already

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Posts: 115 | Location: West Central Florida | Member Since: 10-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
also was wondering does this thing run continously or will it finally shut off, it hasnt worked for a couple years, its a little noisy but bearable

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Bob, on my coach the only purpose of the Gast pump is the HVAC. The switch you see is to turn off the pump at between 18-22 inches. If it won't turn off you have a vacuum leak. This company has replacement pump:
Model MOA-V111-JH $274.00
James Watson & Co.
29 Doran Ave
Marietta, GA 30060
770-422-1154

They can also overhaul your pump for about $175.00 IIRC.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
thanks Nick, ill let it run some more to see if it kicks off

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
I havent run across that pump on mine yet... Where is it located? Also if you have the MCC chassis you dont have air suspension, just shocks.
But you are right about SMOOTH!!!

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
i do have the MCC chassis, must of been my imagination, felt like the whole frame was beening lifted a little,it is located mid-frame infront of propane tank and behind fuel tank for generator, i replaced some fuses and this started working, i never heard it run before and now my ac vent controls work and maybe my cruise will, now to work on my blinkers , was having trouble with them , started messing with them and now they are not working at all

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
My cruise control does not work either... I'm not sure about the heat ac controls but I will surely look for that pump, that would be wonderful if thats all thats wrong with the cruise...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The vacuum pump is only for the dash ac controls. The cruise and accelerator are linked to compressed air - not vacuum. If you notice when the air pressure is low you won't be able to accelerate the engine as the pedal will appear to not work. Once air builds up all is well. You probably have the old Bendix Cruise Control. The "brain" is mounted externally near the wheel well and they are obsolete. There are a few places that say they can rebuild them but it is much better to have modern controls and Cruise King makes a replacement that is electronic rather than air powered. One very poor design flaw on Barth is the single point of failure that a linked air control system causes. If you lose the belt on the engine driven air compressor you lose power steering, all the features linked to the system and after about three pumps on the brakes you lose them too. I experienced this and immediately started removing and replacing all the air powered stuff I could. Sprague Devices will sell an electric replacement for the wipers, Vintage Air has an electronic controlled ac evaporator (you don't need to replumb or replace the lines etc.) and you can convert the step to electric also. I don't know what to do about the steering or the brakes other than rely on the size of the reservoir to save the occupants. I have a 3208T and the air compressor is belt driven by two belts that are 70 inches long which are way too long and just about impossible to tighten to prevent the flapping that occurs. After five events of shredded belts and three trips to Caterpillar we bought Gillig proprietary belts and two tensioner gauges to exactly tension them to 300#. So far that has worked but if I were redesigning this I would not drive the compressor with a belt. This should be gear driven because it is too critical to allow a simple belt to cause such a potential catastrophe. I would add that the old mechanic trick of pushing down on a belt to get about 1/2 inch of distortion will not work, nor will tightening to where twisting the belt to 90 degrees is as far as you can twist.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
maybe you might want to check the condition of your pulleys. 60 some thousand miles and never a squeek out of our belts. I use the old mechanics tricks you just mentioned. No problem with adjusting any of them. Merry Xmas.

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
To all of you, from cold Texas!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post