Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    manual TRANSMISSIONS??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

manual TRANSMISSIONS??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Automatic transmissions usually don't give the best/better gas mileage therefore the practicality of looking at manual transmission as well as some of the latest developments in "automatic" manual transmissions for better mileage is an option? YES or NO??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you would ever recover in fuel savings the very high cost of retrofiting an old motorhome to a manual, and forget it on a diesel pusher!

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Given the advantage of overdrive and the need of wide ratio spread in a heavy RV, the available wide-ratio overdrive transmissions are very few.

Additionally, manual transmissions lack a torque converter. Anyone who has driven the old 4 spd hydramatic (which had a fluid coupling) and a THM400 which had only three speeds with a TQ has seen first-hand the advantage of a TQ.

A manual trans would be good if it had enough ratios, but I question the ability of many RV drivers to operate one. Heck, I have marveled (while waiting) at the ability of many to fill their fuel tanks or dump their other tanks. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Pop Quiz!! Where did we last see a Barth motorhome with a manual trans?
Hint- It was a floor shifter.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I'm remembering at least two. Both diesel pullers. One had a Cummins 555 engine and the other was on a Hendricks or Pierce chassis.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
bill's memory is better than mine, because I don't remember either of these, but I'm pretty sure I remember another one.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
...but I'm pretty sure I remember another one.
This one Danny? 1984 Euro - Standard Shift - 25' w an 8.2L Detroit

I also believe that one of the IVECO Diesel Barths had a manual shifter in it too.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
bill's memory is better than mine,

No memory here. I don't think I ever looked at that one.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I did a conversion of a Greyhound 4501 Scenicruiser with a Detroit 8V71 and I took the 4 speed trans out and replaced it with a Road Ranger 10 speed. I used an air shifter set up from a garbage truck.

It worked very well and then being a young foolish man thought it was the greatest!!

Hmmmmm, many years later, that 6 speed Allison with a lock up torque converter sure it nice!!!

On the subject of mileage, I don't think over all there would be any improvement in mileage going with a manual trans vs. the 5-6 speed with a lock up torque converter. Vs. the 4 speed autos maybe a bit, but certainly not enough to pay for the conversion over the useful life of the coach.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
BillNY gets the prize, even though I had forgotten the Euro. I was thinking of the Iveco when I posted the question. Now we know it's not the only one.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I'd pay money to see them pop a wheely in that!

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post