Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    back to oil comsumption,Rusty
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

back to oil comsumption,Rusty
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
Rusty or anyone if you read this, I took your advise and changed to 10/40 conventional oil, during my last trip I only went like 400 miles and burned 2 quarts. the engine has good power, seems to burn pretty clean at idle anyway, has a small amount of black in the tail pipe. No leaks or oil spots under the coach.

I saw where defective PCV valves may cause excessive oil use, they are cheap so I will change it, but sounds silly. Does timing affect oil consumption? I have removed or the PO has removed most pollution deterrents. Any further advice? I have never checked the timing, I guess I need two folks to check it.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Duane, with that kind of oil consumption you should be seeing blue smoke out your exhaust. Some oils do not show as much as others. You can get smoke less oil. A used car sales favorite. I would start with new valve guide seals. 25+ years can take a toll on seals.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Craig has a good point. Seals can be changed without pulling the heads.

Might just be gummed up rings from sitting too long or few oil changes. Hopefully as you run it the oil will loosen the rings and they will work better.

Have you checked compression? Might get some info there.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Maybe, I don't know at higher loads if there is blue smoke, I can't run that fast. But at idle and with a bit of rev's it is normal exhaust. Shell is in it right now.

So you think I can change the valve seals without pulling the heads, do I put air in the spark plug hole to hold up the disconnected valves, thought I read somewhere I could do that. I will do a compression check as soon as it gets to be a bit warmer. Perhaps if OPEC has enough oil I can come down to you Steve and get some help...lol

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
So you think I can change the valve seals without pulling the heads, do I put air in the spark plug hole to hold up the disconnected valves, thought I read somewhere I could do that.

Yep, piston at top in firing position, air in plug hole, remove rocker arm, pop off valve spring, swap seal. Pretty easy really. There is a lever tool to compress the spring, I have one you can use. Maybe have time at the GTG. hmm

I will send you paperwork for tow dolly registration as soon as I get home.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok Steve, would be real cool if we could do that at Snotan. If you PM me your address I will get a check off to you for the dolly. We can settle up for the starter at the GTG if my starter holds up till then. I also will get new valve stem seals, and valve cover gaskets right away.

Craig, come to Snotan another set of hands as good as yours would be great. My carburetor loves you. lol

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with SteveVW and Doorman. Changing oil brands can result in temporary abnormal consumption in diesels, but it's rare in gassers.

The lack of major smoke points to the seals rather than rings.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I have owned the coach for a year now, took several short trips of 80 to 100 miles when I first got it running, do not remember how much oil I used then. Last fall I went to the Ohio GTG that was about 450 miles each way, used 2.5 quarts going over, but only 1 on the trip home, drove a lot faster going home too. So all I have done since then is several 10-20 mile test trips after repairs and changes, except for the recent Chicago trip.

After the Ohio GTG I thought it was straightening out, for that trip I had 5-30 Synthetic oil in it, now using 10-40 conventional.

I love this old thing.

P30 chassis
350 engine