Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Solenoid part number
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Solenoid part number
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
The solenoid that controls the cruise control on my 94 Breakaway went bad. I replaced it with a generic solenoid which lasted for several months. Can anyone with a 94 Breakaway give me the part number of this solenoid? I can't read the part number on mine.

Thanks,

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Do you a have a picture of the old solenoid?

What was the part number of the new solenoid that only lasted several months?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Where is the solenoid located on the coach?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
HI,

THE soleniod is at the foot of the bed, mounted facing the engine. There is a solenoid on each side of it.

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have a '94 Breakaway and this is what my relay/solenoid panel looked like when I first got it. Is this the panel that you are referring to?

Ignore the pencil, that is pointing to the A/C fan relay
Ignore the arrow, that is pointing to a coach-to-chassis battery relay.

If you would have a picture of the panel that would help.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Here's a picturt of my solenoid. It's mounted at the top of the panel.

[edit]
Removed attachment and shrunk size - re-insert into post as photo instead of attachment.
Bill N.Y.
[/edit]

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I believe the photo depicts what Ed has a white arrow pointing too. It looks like the "coach-to-chassis battery relay".

What other devices do you loose besides the "Cruise Control"? Confused

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,

I only lose the cruise control and if I short the large terminal on the right of my picture with the small terminal at the top of the picture, the cruise control starts working again.

Rick

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The purpose of a large terminal solenoid is to allow large amperage to flow between the two large posts.

First, start up your coach and turn on the power to the coach batteries. Using a test light, can you tell me what terminals are hot?

The right one will be hot all of the time. The bottom terminal should never be hot or show any voltage. The top terminal is your exciter wire terminal. When you stated
quote:
"If I short the large terminal on the right... with the small terminal at the top... the cruise control starts working again"
do you hear a clunk?

I believe what is happening here is that you're backfeeding voltage up the small terminal wire and that is what is causing your "cruise control" to work.

One of those little wires (on top) sends the signal to turn the solenoid on. The other wire could be someones lame attempt at taking voltage from an ignition or switch source to supply another device, like your cruise control.

Normally when I see 2 wires to a small terminal on a solenoid then that means it's controlled from 2 sources or they are daisey chaining other solenoids or ground wires to it.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,

Yes I do hear a 'clunk.' It's like a relay kicking in. Maybe it's stuck. I also found a website an outfit that carries that exact brand of solenoid. It's a White Rodgers. WHen I get some time, I'll be calling them.

Thanks again,

Rick

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill NY, That is the same solenoid as I was talking about. Under the one that controls the 12 volt coach cutoff that I'm replacing with the
Big Boy.My solenoids are at the foot of the bed but inside.The White Rodgers ones can be bought at Grainger Co. I'm still wondering the best way to get the extra wire to the front switch by the door for the Big Boy

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Is that WR Granger? Do you have the part # of your solenoid? I can't read the one on mine.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
The number on my solenoid is Type 586-105111-3
Cust 586-902 made in mexico. 0312 . That everything wrote on it..I called White Rodgers and they refered me to Grainger..You can look at their catalog on line. I called the local branch and found cat,398 pg270 had a124-105111. I ask
the difference and found the 124 mod to be 100 amps and the 586mod. to be 200 amp.I couldn't find the 586 mod in 12 volt listed,only
24 volt

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
I have a '94 Breakaway and this is what my relay/solenoid panel looked like when I first got it. Is this the panel that you are referring to?

Ignore the pencil, that is pointing to the A/C fan relay
Ignore the arrow, that is pointing to a coach-to-chassis battery relay.

If you would have a picture of the panel that would help.

And here was mine Before today.

Notice they are nearly identical? Ed went high tech and Big Boy. I went Lo-tech to replace.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Here is the after picture after the redo!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post