Barthmobile Portal
Drivers side lights

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/5013927197

07-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Crazyshakespeare13
Drivers side lights
Just thought I would pick a few brains on here. Went out to the rv this moring and notice the drivers side housing lights and overhead compartment (over driving area) arent working. Checked the light fuse inside the inverter as well as the breaker box and all seems fine.... passenger side is fine as well as the plugs on the drivers side....Any ideas of where to go from here?
07-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Steve VW
In general, the GM chassis wiring is junk. Small wires with poor grounds make for dim lights and poor function. Diesel chassis seem to be much higher quality.

Barth coach wiring is really variable. In some coaches the 110VAC circuits have hidden splice connectors which overheat and fail, particularly in high load circuits like AC units. Some have duplex receptacles with flimsy push in connections. As far as I know there are no standard wiring layouts. I replaced all the 110V switches and plugs in my Regal.

OTOH, the Barth 12V circuits I have seen usually have very adequate wire sizes but still rely on local connections for the ground path. When in doubt I have often installed a good new ground wire to restore function.

Using a known ground check for power at your light sockets. If you don't find power you will have to trace back to the source. You may get lucky and just have to restore a ground wire.

Good luck, let us know what you find! Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
07-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Crazyshakespeare13
Thamks for all the information. Would the ground be the case if half of the lights are on though? They seem to all run into the same spot in the old PD inverter. Im praying i dont have a short in the walls ...im just about finished renovating Frowner
07-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Danny Z
When I lost one side of the lights in the Euro I discovered that most of the wiring is under the false bottoms of the overhead cabinets. A main junction point was the cabinet that extends out from the kitchen. Once I re-did the connections properly I never had any more problems.

79 Barth Classic
07-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Crazyshakespeare13
Thanks for the advice Danny...Unfortunately the 74 doesn't have false bottoms to the cabinets....but that would havr been a great design idea. To my dismay everything is in the walls and ceiling. All this week we are in the high 100s which is making this job all thr more difficult. Ever tried to figure out how a toaster works from the inside while its on? Smiler