Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    3208 Engine Mounts
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

3208 Engine Mounts
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
On a recent return trip from Charleston, SC I thought I could feel a minor vibration in the coach. It did not seem significant and I noticed that it only seem to be there when the engine was under power. The vibration was there anytime I had my foot on the accelerator but would completely go away when I took my foot off the accelerator. The speed we were traveling didn't seem to make any difference in the symptoms or severity of the vibration. Thinking about this while driving, I was running through all the possibilities and kept coming back to it had to be the engine mounts. When I got home, I crawled under the coach and this is what I found.

This is a picture of what is left of the left side engine mount.

I ordered all new mounts from Gillig and started to install them yesterday.

Picture of new mounts, the old mounts, and the mounting plate

I also changed the front engine mounts. The mounts that are actually at the back of the coach since the engine is mounted backwards.

Old front mounts and new front mounts.

I only changed the left side and front today. The right side is put off til another day. The front mounts were very easy to change. Just jack up the front of the engine enough to get the old ones out and slip in the new ones. Only took a few minutes. The side mounts are a whole other story. The engine can not be raised enough in the frame to remove the old mounts. I had to jack up the engine as far as I could and then remove the four bolts holding the mounting plate on the engine. With minimum clearances and the rubber mounts preventing the bolts from being completely removed, it took me about six hours to change the left mount. Nothing is in the way for removing the left mount. To remove the right mount, the engine starter has to be removed and a whole bunch of hydraulic, water, and air hoses are in the way. Plus several battery cables. Since those mount still look to be in one piece I think I will wait for a nice cool fall day to replace them.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post