Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    PLEASE CHECK YOU'RE BATTERY CABLES!!!!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

PLEASE CHECK YOU'RE BATTERY CABLES!!!!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/21
posted
Folks I have a 1988 Barth, in the process of looking thing over we found ALL THE BATTERY CABLES THROUGHOUT THE COACH had cracked insulation and quite a lot of BARE WIRING where insulation cracked and fell off. The 2 cables going to the power switch in the coach were in HORABLE CONDITION, it's a wonder is didn't burn the coach down! I'd post pictures of the cables but I'm not tech savvy. I guess they are due for replacement after 33 years of wear, Blessings

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville,Tn | Member Since: 09-07-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good advice! Thumbs Up

Sadly, this is the normal condition of many of the wires in the older coaches. I have gotten into the habit of rewiring much of what I work on. Even when the insulation is ok, often the end connections are badly corroded, including the numerous ground connections.

I have the same feeling about old brake lines. Be sure to check them!

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I agree with Steve and have found similar things on my '94 Breakaway.

Further, whether it is main battery cables, House power cables, sadly ALL coach manufacturers use wire sized cables to small! You would be surprised how fast a diesel engine starts when the cable is big enough to deliver proper amperage to the starter!

I have changed ALL of the Chassis batteries connection from the batteries to the distribution panels and starter to 2/0

Same for the house batteries with the exception of the house batteries to the 2800 Watt inverter charger, which is now 4/0 less than 10 ft long.

I also run from the batteries in back of the coach to the power center up front, 2/0. Lots of work but I have no voltage drop at all anywhere.

I also solder ALL heavy connections/cable/connectors and use water proofed heat shrink tubing over those connections.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/21
posted Hide Post
I will be replacing with 2/0 wire and crimping on my terminals since I bought a Tempco hydraulic crimper that has 37 different dies and makes unbelievable crimps! Also, Battery Cables USA IS THE BEST PLACE TO BUY SUPPLIES FOR THIS PROCEDURE.

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville,Tn | Member Since: 09-07-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post