Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    heater hose nightmare
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

heater hose nightmare
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
The bypass patch made it home. Have to replace antifreeze for sure.

I will have to inspect under the coach and hope to find the routing of those hoses and decide on replacement. This could be a major project, I will keep you posted. Meanwhile I want to run to Ohio on the 12th. Probably not fixed by then. Maybe by Dec for Hillsborough.

Any way, no other problems. Dad's boat is in the barn for the winter and winterized. Had a great weekend with the folks. They will both be 86 in Dec. The boat is 90 years old now.

Still not sure the coolant capacity of the system. Engine holds 3 gallons but the rad systems vary (side, rear, etc) and I'm not sure which exact setup I have. Probably another 5 gallons or so. We'll see.

Every time I read of your adventures with your Dad and the boat, it brings a smile because I know what great memories you have. And always will.
Jim

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Steve's earlier suggestion, Schedule K is a soft copper, and will give when bent. It comes in a roll. It can be crimped for emergency shutoff, and with the proper tool un-crimped to restore flow. Something to consider for Barthmobile coolant lines. My guess is copper has less internal friction to move coolant along the long runs with less friction.

As the coolant thru these lines is only for cabin heat and preheating the domestic water heater tank, flow rates would not be important. A long length of copper pipe if exposed to ambient would be a really good heat sink and reduce the temperature as it flows to and from the front.

The old rubber hose was a bit expanded from age, the new hose was same internal dimension and fit all the connections necessary including the bypass system I made.

I made a tee fitting with a restricter that reduced the flow to the domestic water heater as I certainly agree with Steve that with 180 degree coolant thru the preheater, domestic water was way to hot after a long run. I didn't want to eliminate this feature as it is nice to have hot water on arrival. I was going to put a thermostat in line but was way more work than a simple restricter. IIRC it is about a 0.030 hole thru the restricter in the input line to the domestic heater.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Drained the 8.3 and refilled with fresh 50/50 antifreeze. Around 7 gallons in the system and a half in the expansion tank. New coolant filter and we're good to go for now, sans engine coach heat.

If I used copper I would use foam pipe insulation around it, at least on the supply line side. (like domestic water heater lines often do)

Good hoses, backed up with bypass valves installed will likely be the plan. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of the problem of "too hot" and thinking this isn't a new problem, there must be some solution. This from Watts may help, didn't read thoroughly, wife called to dinner. http://www.watts.com/pages/lea...ingValves.asp?catId=

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
How can you tell if the hose is healthy?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Like any rubber or plastic part, age is an important consideration. Our coaches are 23 years old. Hoses can last a very long time if they are not exposed to UV, chaffing or chemicals.

I replaced all of my hoses right after I got it. I did not see any real issues but there were some areas that had signs of chaffing. When I replaced the hoses, I made sure the ares of chaffing were addressed.

I found issues with the radiator hoses that did require immediate attention.

The lower steel crossover pipe was making contact with the stainless steel air pressure hose and was almost worn thru.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just completed engine swap in my 85 Regal, out with the smog choked old 454, in with the 518 (tweaked 502). I am not positive I got all the heater core cooling lines back correctly. Is there a schematic anywhere showing what connects to what and direction of flow. I know it should be pretty obvious but every time I look at all those hoses I get a headache! Would appreciate any help.

Posts: 8 | Location: Volcano, Ca | Member Since: 10-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I was not able to find a diagram for the heater hose layout on the 454. On mine the hose to the heater was attached to the intake manifold next to the thermostat.

The return line was attached to the radiator right side tank. (the tee is for the return line from my aux heater) Both lines run just in front of the orange wire, up to the heater core.

I finally did replace the heater lines in the Monarch. I was dreading having to snake the hoses along the frame rails above the cargo bays and I stalled the project for quite a while.

As luck would have it, I have a full length heater air duct that runs under the floor of the coach. I was able to open up the front and rear of the duct and it was easy to pull the heater hoses through the floor duct. I connected them to the engine in the rear and the heater up front. I would have done it sooner if I knew the floor duct was easy to access. Thumbs Up Mechanic

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post