Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cruise control died
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cruise control died
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Our King Cruise control but the dust. It started by turning itself off when it felt like it and progressed to not working at all. We have a mechanical diesel on a 93 spartan chassis. Anyone have a recommendation for a new cruise control?

Thanks.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
How difficult is it to install a cruise control?

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Before you give up on it, be sure the cruise has a good connection to the brake light circuit. One of the wires (green) is connected to the brake circuit and must be grounded (through the bulb filament) when running and gets 12V when the brakes are applied.

When I installed LEDs in the brake lights, the cruise balked because it did not get the ground through the LEDs. I installed a dummy bulb near the cruise unit, connected it to the green wire and then it worked again.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

PDF DocCruise_Control_MOMENT_1.PDF (90 Kb, 78 downloads) cruise king diagram

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. I haven't touched the brake lights except for the strips you helped me install at Danas. I will check that ground and I will also check the cable going into the cruise control.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I replaced ours on the Breakaway. Got the one that does not need vacuum. Used most of the existing wiring. Easy to do.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
What make and model did you get?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Richard I got your text,I believe you said your cruise control was vacuum operated. You also stated before that your air pressure dropped over night to zero.

I believe that your vacuum generator has failed, common problem unfortunately the vacuum generators that use air pressure are no longer available.

Your only choice is to replace your entire unit with a modern unit.

I converted a GMC truck unit to work on mine but it is not a drop in conversion. Others have converted theirs and may have great suggestions.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I was wrong, Ed. The cruise control is cable operated. I did find a broken flat connector on the cable that feeds the wire into the cruise control. I did a quick fix with rubber bands to hold it together. Btw, do you have a part number on the crossover valve on the air system? Thanks, Richard

Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Looked at the cruise control today and discovered that the flat connector that feeds the wires into the control had a broken lock on one side and would wiggle easily. I used two large rubber bands to keep the connector from wiggling. I'll find out tomorrow if this worked.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Richard, if this works replace with zip ties before you forget and the rubber deteriorates. I bet you can figure out how I know this.
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Got off my butt and found out what I have. It's a Rosta GlobalCruise.

The installtion was easy. Unhooked the old unit and used the wires off the turn signal control. Mounted the cruise module on the firewall and hooked up the throttle cable. Now it is just wiring. Since I converted the tranmission to the Allison 2000 I plug in the speed cable to the transmission. If you have the 3000 you should be able to do the same. If you have the 545 you will need to use a drive shaft speed pickup. You should be able to use the same source as the current cruise control. Let me know if you need any thing more.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Great news. Steve VW knew how to fix it. It's working perfectly again.

posted Hide Post
There’s a GPS Cruise Control Units for sale that doesn’t need an input from your Transmission or vehicle and a new speedometer that uses a GPS signal as well, EBay sell them.

Rico

Posts: 43 | Location: Houston Texas  | Member Since: 12-03-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post