Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dash AC
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dash AC
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Bob G
posted
Ok, so I’ve been told not to fuss with the dash air conditioner. We have a 30’ breakaway with the 5.9 Cummins. PO had it unhooked by removing the belt. A forum search tells me a lot of folks do this. But my question is, why?
What makes this system unusable?
Thanks y’all in advance! this site is an unbelievable resource!

Posts: 10 | Location: NW iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Expensive maintenance, never ending fix. Long lines from rear to front prone to leaks. We just run the generator and the roof A/C, that keeps the whole coach cool, better than just cold air in front.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 8.3 Cummins, and the compressor only has one belt, and it really needs 2. I keep losing or breaking belts. Do you know of a pulley that has 2 grooves to run 2 belts??

Thank you, Mark

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati | Member Since: 08-29-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Measure the diameter of the pulley and determine if it has a Woodruff key or press fit shaft from the compressor. Then contact March Performance Products and give them the data. They make pulley systems for ac, Power steering and alternator installations. The only problem with the dash systems is they are way too small (in BTU’s) to cool a coach of any size. There are solutions but they involve more time and money.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
We ran the dash air on our last two coaches and loved it . I plan to make sure our next coach has dash air as well .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We run our dash a/c all the time. The caveat is that we have a 22' Class C on a Ford chassis and the dash a/c unit was designed and sized for what we have. On our 28' Regal, we ran the roof a/c as others have. A lot more cubic feet to cool.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:
Measure the diameter of the pulley and determine if it has a Woodruff key or press fit shaft from the compressor. Then contact March Performance Products and give them the data. They make pulley systems for ac, Power steering and alternator installations. The only problem with the dash systems is they are way too small (in BTU’s) to cool a coach of any size. There are solutions but they involve more time and money.

The compressor has a dual pulley...I need the pulley for the engine!

Any pics of a dual belt on an 8.3 out there?

Thank you, Mark

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati | Member Since: 08-29-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ran the ac compressor on a 8.3 Cummins with one belt for five years with no problems .

Could the alignment be off a little ?

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
We ran the ac compressor on a 8.3 Cummins with one belt for five years with no problems .

Could the alignment be off a little ?

I have had no problems with my single belt on the 8.3. I would second the alignment question. Mine was originally not lined up well. The AC bracket allows for some adjustment.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I run the dash air. Had to put a used compressor in a few years ago. And yes I lose a little and have to aid about 2 cans a year. NO big deal. Did convert to R134 a few years ago. BTW single belt drive. The only problem is it could use a higher capacity system. Return to Yuma over labor day weekend we were fine until the temps reached over 100F. Had to fire up the generator and turn on roof air. Was still warm inside.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy Mr Gary

That's similar to what we would do . The dash air did fine until the outside temperature topped 90 , then we would start the generator and run the two roof airs along with the dash air . Have to keep the pup cool Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The gasoline engine A/C compressor is located right on top of the drivers side valve cover, the lines are in the way of lots of stuff too.
When I first got Nose I converted the R-12 system to R-134A and had the system running, it was not a lot of cold but it did cool mine and the passengers face. Then I had to do some engine work, change the valve stem seals, I had to take the compressor out of the system, so I never reinstalled it, took the condenser unit out when I put in the new radiator. I do miss it a bit, but it is not going back in, if I ever sell Nose they can have the system.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post