Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Who manufactured the dashboard electric switches?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Who manufactured the dashboard electric switches?
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I need a replacement generator start/stop switch for my coach.

It is an 87, and the switch has a number
RTP8A, and is a three position temporary on/rest/temporary on rocker.

It looks like a weird one, and NAPA showed nada.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since onan is the largest supply of gen set's my best guess is any onan dealer should be able to fix you up.Happy trail's

Posts: 22 | Location: LINCOLN PARK, MICHIGAN USA | Member Since: 03-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a kohler.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
On a Kohler, I would suggest lubing both switches anyway. Use an electrical lube that is safe for plastics. I have seen several that stuck in the "start" position. This is not good for the starter or flywheel teeth.

BTW, do not be tempted to use WD40 on anything electrical. I believe it contains sulfur and will react to moisture in the air and cause corrosion.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad news, good news.

Took the switch out, and played with it. It felt 'different' in one position vs the other.

Bad news: Sprayed it with contact cleaner and VOILA! handily dissolved the rocker itself. Hmm, must be sensitive to that particular solvent in the electic contact cleaner. Oopps!

Well, the body of the switch survived, and it had "oslo switch" in teeny tiny letters.

A 10 minute internent search found the company, and I just shot them an e-mail asking them to retail me two.

Wish me luck!

Just for everyone's information in case it applies:

http://www.osloswitch.com/

posted Hide Post
Hey Windsor, I wouldn't mind having an extra. Do you remember the exact part# you ordered so I can get a reserve switch?

Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: Champaign, IL. USA | Member Since: 09-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who are interested, Oslo switch was really prompt, but they way overcharged me as penalty for doing small time business.

I paid $25 for two generator switches, but was glad to have the correct unit for my home.

They did offer to send me to one of their distributors, so I don't hold it against them. THey generally do not do business with the public, so better overcharged than no switch in my opinion.

The switch serial number is RTP8A 9C9

It is three position temp/off/temp and is 'double wide' meaning it is about an inch wide.