Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    electric fan on side of 93 breakaway by engine
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

electric fan on side of 93 breakaway by engine
 Login now/Join our community

posted
What is the fan for and how do I stop it from running anytime the key is on. It is behind loovers on the side of my 93 breakaway is the cummins 5.9m, and it seems to blow on the exhaust. ??????

'93/94 33' Breakaway-5.9B 230 HP cummins-allison6spd MD3060

Posts: 39 | Location: Chehalis, WA. | Member Since: 01-31-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I think there is a side fan for the engine radiator and also a side fan for the (dash) AC Condenser.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fan is on the lower left side below the engine compartment and seems to blow thru a hole onto the exhaust, and has never run continually before. Now is comes on anytime I turn on the ignition key.

Posts: 39 | Location: Chehalis, WA. | Member Since: 01-31-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there should be a temperature sensor there somewhere that activates it . It is probably there to remove unwanted heat from the engine compartment.

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a search and there are posts talking about installing a fan to remove heat from that area . Most likely it was done by a previous owner .

Trace the wires and you should find the temperature sensor . Could be a snap-disc type .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Darrel, long time no see, hope you guys are doing well!

I think the fan you are talking about is the dash AC fan. It is controlled by a relay in the engine compartment if it is like mine was.

These fail often. If your DC panel in the engine room (passenger's side under the bed) is like mine, you can remove the red wire from the circuit breaker to see if the fan doesn't run continuously. Of course if your dash AC still works you will need to replace the relay.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed. I haven't been on for awhile as my wife got pancreatic cancer and passed away in March. We fot it for 8 months, but it is a losing battle when that happens. Thanks for the info, I think you are right and I will fix it soon.
Thanks again,Darrell

posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW