Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Water Drain Valve Leak
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water Drain Valve Leak
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted
As posted in the Barth Journey forum, we took our 1979 Toaster camping last weekend and discovered that this fresh water drain valve leaks. It is near the water heater as shown in the photos. The other (black) lines are from the heat exchanger from the engine radiator, which are intact. So, I went on a hunt locally at our largest RV supply store and the largest RV dealer. They don't stock anything of this type valve with flare fittings, for semi-rigid plastic tubing. They have only compression-type fittings which would require that the line slips over a barb, then tightens. I do't think my lines would stretch over that barb. Is this something that is not available anywhere? I really don't want to jury-rig the water lines or replumb the whole fresh water system to fix a (seemingly simple problem. Does anyone know a source for the direct fit part or am I going to be forced to cobble something together?

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Check with a marine supply store and your local hydraulic dealer.

Grainger or McMaster-Carr may have them...and don't overlook my fave online auto parts store: Amazon.

Flare fittings of that size and larger are classed for the line size, by 16ths of an inch, i.e., 8AN (1/2"), 10AN (5/8"), etc. For your very low pressure system, you can mix nylon, plastic, and metal fittings.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Rusty for the hint at this being -8 AN fitting style. I bought some stuff to make a repair without having to change a bunch of stuff. I am installing a tee fitting and drain hose with a cap on the end. You have to get under the coach to uncap and drain, but that isn't needed very often anyway.

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
http://www.dyersonline.com/fla...-shut-off-valve.html. Is this what you want?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post