Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Antifreeze comes back as "Oil Sheen" Repair and Submit again!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Antifreeze comes back as "Oil Sheen" Repair and Submit again!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
This sure did surprise me. Hmmm, I think I will start where the antifreeze and any oil exchange heat. Could be transmission oil or engine oil on a Purring Cat 3208. Any member that would like to suggest on where to start, I am open for suggestions.
I was thinking of adjusting valves also. I don't know if
there are not many Caterpillar owners on here that will do valve adjustment themselves, besides me. After talking to Tom Johns, I would rather trust myself.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I don't know the internal layout of the Cat 3208 motor. Maybe some Cat user forum would have experience. hmm

Since the 3208 is not a wet/sleeved engine, we can eliminate leakage there as the problem area.

Next guess would be the oil cooler, trans cooler, maybe intercooler, or head gasket...

Not sure what "oil sheen" means... One drop of oil can make a sheen on an entire swimming pool. Is it possible your sample was contaminated? Do you have any cooling additives that might spook the test? Interesting hmm

Valve adjustment ain't no big deal, long as you have a barring tool to turn the engine over. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
https://www.wanderlodgeownersg...rumdisplay.php?f=127

Very good information regarding the 3208

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Check the engine oil - any milkiness is an indicator.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty, I intend to have the oil tested also. Marvin called and we talked about the Wander Lodge link for the caterpillar 3208. I did not expect such a fast response. I will not be working on the Barth till after Thanksgiving. It is nice to have more than one mind thinking about this problem.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
https://www.blackstone-labs.co...qmshtbkijbe%29%29%2F

never used them myself but know others that did

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I've had several aviation oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs. Good company, no complaints. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Blu
posted Hide Post
Gas engine would be bad head gasket at best. Don't know diesels.

Posts: 6 | Location: East Texas | Member Since: 10-09-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Hey Kevin, I read an article last night that said if coolant is in the oil, you have a bad head gasket or cracked head, but if there is oil in the antifreeze, you have a faulty oil cooler. It would be worth checking out.
Later
Kenny J

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
My guess is that either the trans cooler or engine oil cooler is leaking.
If anti freeze gets into the Allison your looking at a trans rebuild.
I would replace both coolers. They are due anyhow. And the least expensive choices.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As soon as my Barth gets into its warm garage, I will be looking at all the suggestions, starting of course with the transmission cooler. Marvin called me within an hour of my post to alert me of the potential problem this could lead to.
Thanks to all the suggestions. If there are more thoughts please post them here or give me a call. With our 4000 plus members I am sure I can get the problem solved.