Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Speedometer not working
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Speedometer not working
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
The PO of our 93 Breakaway had the speedometer stop working about 1000 miles before he turned it over to us. He thinks that it is the sensor. The needle will sometimes be still and other times go erratic. Bumps and wet weather seem to make it more erratic. He thinks its the sensor on the Allison Tranny. Can anyone tell me where the sensor is located? Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Did the odometer work at all?

I have a problem with my speedometer, if after a long period of inactivity, I turn it on and the speedometer will start to read about 15 to 20 MPH and then read about 10-20 MPH higher than actual speed. it will wonder around a bit and after about 3-4 hours it will start to settle down and finally be OK for the rest of the time.

The odometer on mine works OK and is accurate.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Although I have a GM system, I've had a similar issue a couple of times - pulling the transmission connector, drying with acetone, then cleaning the contacts, cured the problem - but it took a couple of times before the fix became permanent.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is why I asked if the odometer was still working. If it is, then the sensor is OK and the internal speed display circuit has a problem.

This intermittent and erratic speed readings are a common defect of the early '90s VDO speedometer according to the speedometer shop I go to.

If mine gets to bad or does not settle down I will have them take off the bezzle and I will try to trouble shoot/repair the unit. I want to keep the white pointers.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
In the Breakaway, the speedometer will be eratic, one moment at '0' and the next at 30mph. When it is at '0', the odometer is not working. When the speedometer is bouncing around, the odometer will click away, even if the coach is standing still.
Sensor? Where might it be on the tranny?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds like the type of problem Rusty fixed by cleaning the connections at the sensor. This is NOT the same problem as mine.

Look for the sensor around the drive shaft end of the transmission. It should be a small screw-in device that has a connector at the end of it.

It should be close to the output shaft, certainly in the rear housing of the transission

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, my odometer worked although the speedometer didn't. But as Ed points out, mine isn't VDO.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post