Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Picture of cummins 5.9 fuel solenoid

Closed Topic Closed
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Picture of cummins 5.9 fuel solenoid
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
After I pulled into a campsite today and let the engine cool down, it would not restart. I had run a little hot climbing the Rocky Mountains, up to nearly 220. When I cracked it, it would not even fire which makes me suspect the fuel solenoid. Anyone have a picture of one so I know what I'm looking for? Can it be lubricated? Thanks.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Found the solenoid and found a new one on line.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Richard,

I have a bag of zip-ties in my tool box that I take with me on trips. Use them to get you on your way when your fuel solenoid craps-out and you don't have a replacement(use them to secure the linkage in the "open" position). I found a replacement solenoid off Ebay and purchased two(I take one with me as a back-up). I did have to use the shaft off my old one and install on the new solenoid in order to make the connection with the linkage arm. I think I paid somewhere around $70.00 for both. Cummins wanted close to $400 for one. Ed(MWrench), had a great write-up on this subject.
My engine is the 6CTA 8.3.
Periodically I do remove the rubber boot covering the shaft and lube the shaft with some LPS 2. It may not be necessary to do so, but is good piece of mind.

The Chinese made fuel solenoid has performed flawlessly for over 8K miles so far.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
In the meantime you can start/operate your coach by manually lifting the fuel solenoid rod, then securing in the upward position (wire tie, zip tie, etc.) After doing so your coach should start via the ignition key. Turning off the key will not shut down the engine, rather the tie will need to be removed allowing the solenoid plunger to drop down.

If this does not work then the problem is not your fuel solenoid.

Another reason a Breakaway fuel solenoid will not function is a faulty "constant power relay", which often fail, causing the otherwise good solenoid not to receive power. The relay is readily available at local part stores. Search the site for many discussions.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Report This Post