Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Suspension Ford vs Chevy
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Suspension Ford vs Chevy
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
After my disaster with a '99 Trek with Chevy solid front axle, I became rather interested in suspension. Would like comments for the shorter/lighter Barths, I guess independent suspension vs twin I-beams. I've heard that it's difficult to keep tires on the twin I-beam design. And my current P30 with independent front coil springs does very well. I'm not looking for ideas on the air suspensions some of the larger Barths have because the max length we'll be looking at for the kids is about 30'/31'.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My diesel 1-Ton Ford van with twin I beams has held alignment for 9 years and 70,000 miles (After I overhauled the front end and steering) .

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If you are talking class A motor homes, the Ford in not twin Ibeams. Class Cs used Twin Ibeams. The Ford class A is a single Ibeam, as is Dodge, John Deere, Oshkosh and Workhorse. Once there was something available in a heavier duty than the 30 series GM chassis all the heavier coaches moved quickly away from the GM.

However, on the short unit of 30' or less the GM makes a fine chassis, and if upgraded to the 8.1 liter engine with overdrive will get mileage to rivel the best the diesels have to offer.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing up my misconception, Rusty. Now, the question is:
For a front engine,gas or diesel, type A motor home in the 30'/31' range, which is preferable, independent coil springs aka P30, or solid front axle, aka Ford, John Deere, Oskosh etc.?
Perhaps my problem with the '99 26' Trek was that while it was on a P chassis, it was a solid axle that none of the alignment shops I took it to,knew how to fix. Because of this site, I've come to know what to do with a P chassis and can essentially tell the alignment shop how to set it up. We did this on the 85 Regal, and the results were outstanding.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think one of the reasons twin I-beam is thought to be problematic is that the locator rod (like reverse panhard rods) bushings wear and are ignored.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post