Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    how can you check gauges
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

how can you check gauges
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
Now I know why the gauges are out.I Hooked up the water and oil they did not work. I bought a line tracer from Graybar .the Thing works just fine I can trace any line now.which will help me with all the switches on the dash which are not hooked up.
when I put the wires to the hour meter the gen wanted to start I think "it must be a ground" where did I hear that? If I attach my meter to the oil sensor and start the gen should the ohms change? That might give me a start.
lenny
ps.I am not an electrician

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
OK Lenny & Judy
Sounds like a great Barth accessory.
Lets hear about the wire tracer you got.
What is it called, how much did it cost, and are you happy with it?
Tks

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
when I put the wires to the hour meter the gen wanted to start I think "it must be a ground" where did I hear that? If I attach my meter to the oil sensor and start the gen should the ohms change? That might give me a start.
lenny
ps.I am not an electrician

The resistance will change if the sender is working.

I got a Fluke signal tracer from Amazon. I should have used it to trace the propane supply lines for the reefer and furnace, then I wouldn't have gotten them switched.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Home Depot and Lowes sell similar signal tracers

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got A Fluke 3000 wire tester $88.00 don't if it is a deal or not I needed it the tone works great.
lenny
Rusty same one great price Graybar is all ways expensive

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine was about $80 with shipping.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty have you figured where you are going to meet up in south Carolina with some barths for the dc trip and what time do you plan to arrive in dc?It is two days for me to get to SC what day will you be in sc.?
lenny
going to go out to work on the gauges

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Since you have a Regency I am going to assume you have a diesel generator - probably a Kohler. The Hour meter has a ground on one side of the meter marked "-". That goes to a chassi ground. The other wire connects directly to the 12v output of the small alternator on the generator and it has power only when the generator is running. If any other source of 12v is connected your hour meter will run anytime the ignition switch is on. The oil pressure gauge operates the same way. "-" to ground and a wire directly to the oil pressure sender in the block of the generator. The sender looks like a small can with a screw p[ost in the center that screws into a small (1/8") hole on the side of the block. Sometimes you may find that the 12v or the ground are mismatched with the illumination circuit that connects to your bulbs in the gauges. Make sure no tap has been made for any gauge + or - from or to the illumination wires that feed all your gauges.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
For us cheap skates, Harbor Freight has a cable tracker on sale for $19.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Looks like this is what I've been needing -- found one on ebay for $45 with free shipping -- they had at least 3 more -- item number 270445407611 fluke pro3000

Russell and Donna
1988 GM 454 powered 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
Rusty have you figured where you are going to meet up in south Carolina with some barths for the dc trip and what time do you plan to arrive in dc?It is two days for me to get to SC what day will you be in sc.?
lenny
going to go out to work on the gauges

Nick and Donna and I will meet at the Fayetteville (NC) KOA (Exit 61 I-95) PM of 10/6, then arrive in DC the next afternoon.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
thanks Tom K. I will check now this am.added 12in.to all of the wires in the console
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

posted Hide Post
Rusty if you don't mind WE would like to meet you in SC.was planning to arrive early .WE will add another day planning arrival Wednesday the 7th leave dc on Wednesday the 14th.My wife has not seen dc since the 7th grade.
lenny
won't have a car till April going circle tours route
along with buses
how many will be in sc?

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Be glad to have you - but note that the Fayetteville KOA is in NORTH Carolina.

There will be Nick, Donna, and I at the Fayetteville KOA. Two coaches, Ugly Betty and StaRV II.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
thanks I will tell Judy after church she is preaching tomorrow. won't bother her tonight.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B