Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    5.9 cumins boost
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

5.9 cumins boost
 Login now/Join our community

posted
How much boost should I see in a 5.9 cumins?. I never see much over 5 lbs and I know it should be more. The bus is in the shop for oil and filters and they will look into my boost issue.
Mac
93 Breakaway

Posts: 28 | Location: Chardon Ohio | Member Since: 02-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
At cruise about 10 lbs. At full throttle up to 25. After installing the large injectors I could do 30 easy.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks gary! I'll relay that to the mechanic.
Mac

Posts: 28 | Location: Chardon Ohio | Member Since: 02-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
The boost numbers I see are similar to Gary's. Cruise on the flats is between 10-15 Lbs. 22 Lbs at max throttle and max RPM before defueling. (2400 RPM)

Mine is stock 230 HP Cummins with a 1 turn adjustment inward on the AFC. Helps low RPM acceleration.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
You guys actually have a boost gauge on your dash? Mine does not have one and I have no idea how much boost I get. Seems to run alright though. How difficult would it be to put one in?

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My boost gauge (manifild pressure) is located is located left of the seat just forward of the leveler controls. Not easy to monitor. The problem was a bad fitting in the line to the gauge, cheap to fix but a bit expensive to find. I saw 15 lbs on the way home and the bus seemed to have a bit more power on the mild hills I encountered on the way home. I don't believe I have had any boost since I've owned the bus. Anxious to see how it performes on the interstate now.
Mac
'93 breakaway