Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    New power plant
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New power plant
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted
I recently purchased a 1977 27'er. Knowing full well the engine would need to be replaced/rebuilt at some point. Has anyone out there replaced one of these with something other then a 454? An example might be a 427; a fuel injected 454/455 or anything that would bolt onto the TH400 transmission. Also I was considering one of the new 6.5L Detroit diesels.

If any one has any views on this I would like some input.

Thanks

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Eric,

If I were to do it I would keep in mind that we are talking about a $10K plus expenditure on a $10K vehicle. You can get a remanufactured Goodwrench 454 with a 3 year 50K mile warrenty. Thant's what I did. If I were to do it over I probably would have some Thorley header installed. I talked about going to the 454 Vortec but it wouldn't fit. Would have to build new doghouse etc. The GMC 6.5 diesel is not a greatly respected engine. If fact they made some Barth Regals with this engine.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1305037&a=10653417&p=36455289
http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/rajah3/usflag.gif

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I put a factory crate ht502 in mine.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/performance_parts/store/ca...1116&CATID=1099.html

It has the same torque as the new Duramax diesel, although it is at 2800 instead of 1800 rpm. It cost about $4400 and fits in just like a 454. The heads required that I use 7/16" bolts to mount the accessories, rather than the original 3/8". Just a matter of drilling out the holes on the brackets. I used the original intake, and had to grind a bit. Let me know for further details if you go that route.
I would not recommend a 427, as they were not torque engines. Fine in a hot rod or boat, but not for an RV.
I have the Thorley headers, and they are really good. An H pipe helps too. The 502 has siamese bores, so be sure your cooling system does the job.
A Barth is worth spending money on, as they age well. Most older RVs get rickety and rot as they age. This is my sixth RV, and my last. It is a keeper. There is no other way I could have the quality and lasting durability for the money I spent.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post