Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1976 Brakes & Suspension System
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1976 Brakes & Suspension System
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello again Barth members. I been away from this site for a long time so let me introduce my self again. My name is Rogelio from El Paso, TX and I'm a proud owner of a 1976 Barth. It had been parked for approximately 10 years when I purchased it at auction a few years ago and I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it. In it's former life it was a mobile dental clinic and all I've done so far is an engine overhaul. I cleaned out the fuel tank, flushed out and replaced all the liquids. I took it out for a test drive and it runs good but it needs a brake job and air bags. My question is, Should I just do a brake job and replace the air bags, or is there something more I should be doing? Is there a new/better air system available that I can install? Should I replace the brake system? After being parked that long I'm leaning toward replacing entire systems but I don't know whats available. I have the Barth CD but there's not a whole lot on a 76. Any help would be appreciated.

Rogelio
1976 Barth
454-4 V8
P32
35ft
Ser # S76112043MC35T
VIN # CPY3763314307

Posts: 5 | Location: El Paso, TX | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Very cool old coach. For my part, I'll just echo my mantra; replace ALL rubber brake lines first and foremost. They swell shut and mimic a sticky caliper. More info can be found in numerous posts here. Bleed and replace brake fluid then see what you got. This only covers one small aspect but I think it's an important one and should be used in conjuntion with the valuable info that others will offer.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan & Suzy Z,
I have a lot of work ahead of me before I can take her out on the road. Fortunately I still have a full time job and not enough time to take her out right now even if I wanted to. With that being said, I think I will replace all rubber brake lines first. I have already started browsing the numerous post starting way back from 2001. I've already found lots of valuable information, but the more I look, the more work I find that has to be done. looks like the beginning of a long journey.

Rogelio
1976 Barth
454-4 V8
P32
35ft
Ser # S76112043MC35T
VIN # CPY3763314307

Posts: 5 | Location: El Paso, TX | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post