Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Nose Does it Again
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Nose Does it Again
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
If the bolts are broken off, then you will absolutely need to drill them out and re-tap the holes. That is the only sure way to get the balancer off. You will need 3 threaded holes for the puller.

Mark

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati | Member Since: 08-29-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
PB Blaster, try to center the hole, use a punch for the drill bit start, tap hard on the hole try the EZ Out if it doesn't move, PB again and try the next day. By experience I know you don't want to break an EZ Out! Patience is a hard earned virtue. The good news is you have 3 so that will occupy some of the time.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
If you plan to replace the harmonic balancer you can just pull it with a regular gear puller. Normally a bad idea as it may shear the rubber ring between the outside and the inside sections but if it does shear then you can pull the center section next. You could still drill the bolts and use the normal puller but might not have to.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I will add this, for $50+/- I wouldn't risk trying to pull the balancer off. even if it comes off the rubber is old and will be weakened, balancers are known to come apart.

Just remove the old one and replace it!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well thanks for the advice again!! Waiting on parts and it is freezing your behind off cold, should warm up this weekend so I get to drink beer and wait on delivery of the new balancer and seal!! Life is good!!!

Steve I hope you are right I have very little desire to drill out those broken bolts!!! This particular crankshaft has a keyway my hope it is just a slip or slight press fit. The one on my Cadillac is a tight press fit and no keyway, I was careful to mark its location for reassembly when I took if off a few years ago, darn 3.6L European Engine, that engine has the worse timing chain set-up I have ever seen. If I was a smart guy I would pull off the timing cover and check this timing chain while it is apart due to the over heat it went through last summer.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timing chains do stretch, and if it has a plastic covered cam sprocket, change it to a Cloyes Tru-roller. You won't be sorry.

I have never seen a gear puller pull of a BB balancer yet...that said, drill out the bolts, and tap to 5/16". Three of them.

I have changed out well over 100 balancers over the years, and using an easyout is foolish...just wait until you break one off.

Mark

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati | Member Since: 08-29-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cloyes Tru-roller.

https://www.cloyes.com/stock-r...t/timing-chain-kits/

https://partspro.com/blog/in-t...e-roller-speed-sets/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So this morning we got 4 inches of light dusting, but they say it will be 60F Sunday so I am not shoveling, kinda melting today anyway.

Hope to get back to work on Nose tomorrow if it gets to 40F as the weather person said! Going back to winter next week so its this weekend or wait.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So I had some medical problems and was not able to get this job finished yet. The weather is supposed to be in the high 40's this weekend so I hope to be able to complete it then!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I don't get too motivated until the temperatures get above 60 degrees Big Grin Mechanic

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had a few 60 degree days here in Cincinnati...

I installed new air bags on the front of my Barth, and installed 2x Ping tanks with 5/8" DOT hose. and replaced the 25 year old Monroe shocks with gas charged Bilsteins.

Boy, that was a lot of work!

Next project for this Sunday, install 2x rear airbags and a Single larger 2 gallon ping tank w/5/8" airlines. all airbags were 25 years old, and starting to dryrot. Front airbags were the worst, however.

Hoping for a much better and softer ride!

This fall's project will be to buy and install a motorized reel system for the 50 amp power line.

Dwayne's project sounds like a lot of work compared to mine.

Regards, Mark

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dwayne's project sounds like a lot of work compared to mine.

Most projects on these wonderful old machines turns into more work than initially anticipated specially on Nose!

I have a medical issue and can not work on Nose during this nice weather, hope the weather holds into next week.

Good luck with your stuff, Mark!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane!

I hope you get better soon, and please keep us updated on your project!

Best, Mark

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hooray!! Got the stupid balancer off today. I ended up using the slots and 3 hardened bolts that I ground 2 sides flat so they fit the slot and then rotated them 90 degrees to lock them in. These were used with a standard GM balancer puller. Used soft bolts and they just pulled right through. The picture shows the pull bolts and you can see 2 of the 3 broken bolts in the balancer.

The rubber membrane is hard and poking through, bet this might not be working and maybe helped cause the belts to break.

Need to pull the old seal and put the whole mess back together.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Yankee ingenuity triumphs again! You should be on the home stretch now.

Definitely a good time for a new balancer. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post