Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Nose Does it Again
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Nose Does it Again
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Duane, Many 2 cylinder fire both plugs. On 180 deg opposed engines it fires on compression and during exhaust/intake overlap. Simple system should be easy to fix. I put my money on condenser or points. Onan engines if maintained are Pretty good. Just use that 2 windows 60 mph air to gtg. Good luck.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
Duane, Many 2 cylinder fire both plugs. On 180 deg opposed engines it fires on compression and during exhaust/intake overlap. Simple system should be easy to fix. I put my money on condenser or points. Onan engines if maintained are Pretty good. Just use that 2 windows 60 mph air to gtg. Good luck.

Harley Davidson used this system for years. Gave it that unique sound like no other motorcycle. Also good for a nice fire show at night when it fired on the exhaust stroke cylinder.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ordered a set of points, condenser and new spark plugs. The existing points were filed and they look great, but just to buy a condenser was $25 and can buy a set of points, 2 spark plugs and a condenser as a kit for $30.

There is a capacitor on the coil also, would like to change it out but unable to find a replacement, must buy coil and capacitor as a kit. Still need to confirm the coil is getting power.

Hope it is not the circuit board that is bad. New coil and capacitor is like $40. Board is a few hundred and requires new wiring because existing board is not available.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I guess with all the stuff going on in the country, Covid, elections, protests, and hurricanes, one should not be to upset with a broken generator, but its better then the news right now.

So I am an idiot, bought new points, electrical coil, spark plugs and a carburetor, even though the points were working and the coil checked ok, but no spark. Replaced everything, checked for spark again, NOTHING!

Had power going to the coil, points were opening and closing properly. So started to really dig into the wiring. There was power, 12-volts going to the coil and it seemed the condensers were charging. While digging around I shorted out the ignition fuse. Looked at the back side of the fuse holder and surprise, surprise one wire terminal connector had split and was just touching the fuse holder terminal. Surmise there was contact allowing power to the coil, however it must not have been able to carry any amp load when the coil needed it. Fixed that, got spark???!!!

The new carburetor is not going to work, although the genset fired right up and ran pretty well, the air filter setup, crank case ventilator and choke will not mate to this unit. Tomorrow going to pull it off and hope the float spring is the same as the one that I lost from the old carburetor, so I can reuse the old carburetor.

Oh well, spent a lot of money and time on this little project, guess we all can't be smart enough to look at the simple stuff first....but what else would I have done, Gone Bass Fishing????!!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I have certainly been in those situations before . All we can do in those times is smile and use it as a learning experience for fut projects . Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Lol , Future projects ROTFLMAO

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh well, spent a lot of money and time on this little project, guess we all can't be smart enough to look at the simple stuff first....but what else would I have done, Gone Bass Fishing????!!!

We all must pay to learn. There is no free ride. D'oh

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post