Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Nose Does it Again
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Nose Does it Again
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So we now have official flood here in pool 13 it is still in the take action stage, but over night it will be flood. Thank you, Dana!!!

It is on the way Tim!!! Right now it is snowing here, geez love this weather!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I love this ole machine! Thought all the issues were resolved and was looking towards heading to the GTG in Minnesnowta. Flooded the engine, over primed it with the electric fuel pump, my mistake. Floored the accelerator and cranked, Nose finally started up.

So let it warm to operating temperature the engine sounded great, shut her down. Opened the front hatches and looked around, noticed a damn drip around the radiator filler. There is a short hose that connects the filler inlet to the radiator and it was leaking.

Not an awful repair, just a pain. These old guys just need a lot of love.

Small items like this worry me because of all the old hoses going to the rear cabin heater and water heater they could go too. Guess they all should just be replaced for security sake! All ready replaced all the engine cooling hoses and water pump.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
You might want to just install a couple of shut off valves. This will keep heat out of rear of coach and a safety in case of rear heater core or water heater leak.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Thank you Doorman, great idea, gonna go buy a couple of valves, I have to check how many sets of lines run from the engine to the coach, hope it is just one!!!

Closer inspection reveals, just the connection hoses are rubber, the longer runs are copper, so I am much relieved. As I said the engine area hoses are newer, so all that's needed is a look at the short hoses leading from the copper to the water and cabin heater connections...Whoopie!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
On the return trip from Michigan City after the overheat issue last year, kinda afraid to use the Chicago Expressways, so route 30 through Illinois was the choice. Not a good one there were like a thousand stop lights and cities with traffic until half across the state.

Well the front disc brakes overheated and really started to squeal like a hungry hog. Now they still squeal when they get hot, got new, supposedly noiseless pads, better be they cost twice as much as the other. Installed them, shame the others were like new only had about 2000 miles on them. Found one of the bearings had meatal chips in the grease and was a bit noisy, so that was a good catch. Take the test ride today.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
On the road again.... Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My Regal brakes squealed when hot. As you found, mostly after several miles of stop and go. I think the disc pads get a shiny glaze while running hot. I took mine out and sanded the pads lightly. Lasted until the next time I got them hot. One of several reasons I disliked stoplight traffic in that coach.

Here's to happy road testing Tooling Along cheers

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
When we first got the Class A it sounded like a dump truck stopping. Changed to ceramic pads, no more screeching and squealing. also no more dirty wheels from brake dust. I read that the stopping power might not be as good. I have not notice any different and that running at 18,500 lb. down Jellico with no brakes on the 3,500 lb. trailer. I am happy with the change to ceramic. They do cost more.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Did the road test today, good news even with a lot of in town stop and go, no squeal!! Doorman you are correct. do believe there is a bit less stopping power. Double the cost as you said.

Yes Steve there is a lot of glazed metal on the old pads surface, maybe I'll save them just incase. They are like new.

Funny pretty hot day over 90F and with all the stop and go and even some hi-way driving, did not have a issue with vapor lock, rare, but good did the new electric fuel pump work better than the old one? Hope so!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So It is hot and sunny, love it!! The river is still high Dana must have rain!!!

Yesterday arrived a care package from professor Steve VW. The contents were 2 CB radios and a fuel mixture gauge. the gauge is a pass on from MWrench, that Steve did not use, brand new old stock one might call it.

Installed the gauge today and it is the coolest thing has colored LED lights indicating rich to lean fuel air mixture. Was quite surprised about the function, am reading between the lines however, because instructions are really information about a computer controlled fuel injection system. They indicate the LED's will flash up and down a lot in middle range because the computer is constantly adjusting to optimize the mixture. The ole Rochester however is really quite stable, cool huh!!!

At idle it runs solidly in rich range, at 55/60 mph it reads in the mid range, but just below the rich setting, when I let off the accelerator it goes to lean, all about as one might expect.

All said and done seems a smaller jet in the primary might center the mixture. Not sure what to make of hard acceleration, would think it would go rich, but it stays about the same as steady run, does this mean full throttle could stand a bigger jet and give more power? Going to leave it alone for now, not sure more power is necessary. Maybe this ole 454 just does not accept all that air at full throttle.

Installed one of the CB's, could not get anyone from driveway, and did not really try it when I was road testing the mixture gauge. Now is the antennae not working right?? The weather station on the CB did work and did not work when the antennae was disconnected.

Thank you Steve and MWrench!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
Sounds like Ol Nose is coming right along Smiler

Where you able to do a swr check on your antenna system for the cb ?

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
Sounds like Ol Nose is coming right along Smiler

Where you able to do a swr check on your antenna system for the cb ?

Harold what is an SWR ????

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
Standing Wave Ratio

If your swr is too high , your signal won't get out and you will burn the finals in the cb .

Drive down to Louisiana Tooling Along and I'll be happy to check it for ya Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
Standing Wave Ratio

If your swr is too high , your signal won't get out and you will burn the finals in the cb .

Drive down to Louisiana Tooling Along and I'll be happy to check it for ya Smiler

Sure i will hit the road, hey come to Minnesnowta in September, bring your device, margaritas and pork butt!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Add a manifold vacuum guage to increase the level of fascination. With 2 engines on the boat, tachs, vacuum guages, synchronizer, amp, oil pressure to watch it is about all I can do to stay in the channel and miss traffic. Might be a good idea to have idiot lights?

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post