Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Nose Does it Again
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Nose Does it Again
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey Harold, Cat, Decided to go with Gilmer system, my Miata uses one to drive the cam shafts and I believe the oil pump too. That system went 90k before it gave up. The system Nose is easy to monitor and if replacement of a belt is required it is pretty easy.

I will certainly check the alignment closely when it is installed.

I just noticed only one of the pulleys guide the belt, the other two are extra wide and the belt is allowed to go where it chooses, should be helpful if it is just a wee bit out of alignment.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
As usual nothing goes easily with ole Nose. Got the pully off the water pump and removed the alternator without to much trouble, but they had been remove in the last couple of years.

The crankshaft pully is another story. Hard to get any leverage on the bolts and they are super tight or corroded. Can't get at them from underneath, I am going to remove the passenger side wheel to try and get a vantage point from the wheel well. Probably have to figure out how to stop the engine from rotating during the process. Maybe I can get a torch on the bolts. Any suggestions?

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
A pry bar or large flat screwdriver placed appropriately in the flywheel teeth will hold the engine .
Remove enough to get to those bolts with a long breaker bar with leverage or an impact wrench.
I wouldn't use a torch in that spot . It can damage the harmonic balancer and the front seal , not to mention the fire hazard .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
PB Blaster a day of waiting, perhaps a heat lamp on the area while soaking, maybe shoot the PB every 3 or 4 hours. If you have a long handle breaker bar and an impact socket you might give it a good whack with a heavy hammer each each time before you spray.
I have found PB to be amazing at loosening nuts and bolts long past injured knuckles.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
ditto on PB and impact wrench!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
There is not enough room to get an Impact Wrench on the bolts.

Pry bar in flywheel teeth sounds possible. I put Liquid Wrench on the bolts will try to find some PB Blaster...

Thanks all!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Impact socket only, not the wrench. That socket will be less unhappy when you are beating on the handle.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
use a breaker bar not a ratchet

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Oh well what can go wrong on ole Nose will go wrong! I was able to get an impact wrench on those crank shaft pully bolts had to remove the fan and some brackets , my impact wrench of course broke the bolts so I ended up removing the radiator. Now I have an open view of the harmonic balancer.

The weather is going back to normal so going to lose this nice weather for work outside. I am not sure if I want to try and drill and easy out the broken bolts or just get a junk yard balancer. If the holes can be drilled without removing the balancer that would be great but my guess is they will need to be drilled on the drill press.

I had replaced the radiator awhile back so I knew what I was getting into.

Rockauto has a replacement balancer for $55 including shipping, might just change it out.

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
I would probably buy a new balancer and seal while I was there .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will be best to replace the damper and seal while you are at it...if the bolts were rusted in, then the damper has seen a lot of weather, and the elastomer is most like likely cracked and dried out.

On a BB 454 I would opt for a FluidDamper balancer. It is very well made, and will last a lifetime for your engine.

When you replace the seal, you may have to remove the timing cover to replace the seal...there are many variations, and remember to use the "right stuff" silicone sealant on the front edge of the seal.

My 2 Cents, Mark

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati | Member Since: 08-29-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the advice, I ordered a new balancer and seal. I guess I sit back for a week waiting for parts. Hope the weather does not go super cold and snowy!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
With March around the corner , we'll be looking at 70 and 80 degree weather soon Thumbs Up

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ah to be in the south, what's better than 70/80 degrees in March. We still have snow, ice and cold days to go through. Kiss a Gator for me Harold!!! If I were a smart guy I would finish this pully job, hook up the bass boat and be in your drive way next week..lol

It is 40F here today and I should be spraying penetrating oil on the center bolt of the Crankshaft in preparation for removal when my parts arrive, could be 2 foot of snow by then...Oh well lazy is part of age I guess!!! I hope the Balancer slides off the crank easily, I do have a wheel puller but being unable to use the pully holes because of the broken bolts it might present a problem, and Nose loves to make problems for me.

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
We do have an rv spot with hook-ups for weary Snowbirds Hide

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW