Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Spartan air condition
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Spartan air condition
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted
I have been looking in the manuals for the amount of freon it takes for the engine chasis air condition on a 92 Breakaway 30' with a Cummins.Czn anybody give me a idea? Has anybody changed them over to 134 freon?

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I recently serviced my A/C system and put only 2 lbs of R-12 in after evacuation. Was very surprised how little it took. I wil know next week how well it works on our trip to Houston. Didn't consider changing to R-134 although I am sure that Acme has conversions available for this system

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I changed over to r-134 in my sob 34ft with a cummins. The data plate on your compressor will give you an amount of freon and it should be roughly the same for 134. I'm $ure opinion$ will vary on how in depth you $hould go with the changover, whether to change every $eal in the $y$tem, drain all oil out of the $y$tem, $ome may even $ugge$t replacing the compre$$or. At a minimum, though, you should consider changing out the dryer/filter and replacing any seals that you suspect could be leaking. Automotive parts stores will also have the changeover kits if you do it yourself.

Posts: 25 | Location: bardstown, ky | Member Since: 05-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I converted both my van and SOB to R-134a, with no problems. Both also had the compressors replaced, but that was unrelated to the refrigerant.

It's best to flush the system and use the contemporary PAG lubricant.

BTW, usually a bit LESS R-134a than R-12 is appropriate.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post