Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1991 Breakaway belt tensioner 5.9L diesel
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1991 Breakaway belt tensioner 5.9L diesel
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am having a hard time finding a replacement belt tensioner for my 1991 Breakaway with a 5.9L L6 Diesel.

Does anyone have a NAPA or other vendor part number?

Thanks in advance,

John

1991 28' Breakaway
5.9L 6B5.9 Cummins, Allison
Spartan chassis

Posts: 17 | Location: Hilo HI | Member Since: 03-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent an email to the sales link on spartan.com site with what I was looking for and my VIN number. They responded with my engine number and the Cummins part numbers with a graphic. The part number is 3922900 which is searchable on NAPA. Thanks to Todd at Spartan!

1991 28' Breakaway
Spartan chassis

Posts: 17 | Location: Hilo HI | Member Since: 03-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the part number from Spartan did not work. Apparently the newer version of the part but is missing a piece that sticks out with a square whole in it that is needed. Oh well still on the hunt the the right part. Does anyone know of a source for this part?

1991 28' Breakaway
Spartan chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
By the way JT, java have you posted your data tag here? Computer I will summon Bill NY Superman to get you a folder for your coach if I could get a picture of your data tag. Thumbs Up We would be delighted to add your Barth to the Data Tag list. Thumbs Up

Cheers Big Grin

Kevin

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
square whole in it that is needed

Is it possible to replace the Idler bearing's? You could use the same mounting if that is not a sealed unit. You may need to press out the bearings? Ed (mwrench) might know if the idler can be rebuilt?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
By the way JT, java have you posted your data tag here? Computer I will summon Bill NY Superman to get you a folder for your coach if I could get a picture of your data tag. Thumbs Up We would be delighted to add your Barth to the Data Tag list. Thumbs Up

Cheers Big Grin

Kevin

Sure will get it to you next week!

1991 28' Breakaway
Spartan chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My go-to source for things that are hard-to-find is Amazon.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
did you try calling cummins? if you give them your engine serial number, they will tell you what your part number is.
ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I hope this works!
NAPA tensioner

There is an image one can click on to show the back side of the tensioner where the square is located on later units.

I believe the tensioner you have is an obsolete design. The tension relief 3/8 inch square (on mine it is 1/2 inch) to insert a socket driver IS on the NAPA unit, and will be in the same place on all later tensioners.

You should be good to go with the NAPA part. I don't think you can replace just the idler on the older designed units.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That design is a bit more sophisticated than on my GM/AMG 6/5L, where relieving the tension consists of grabbing the pulley bolt and yanking...and of the two I replaced and the onboard spare, the pulley bolts were three different sizes...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
that sure looks like the one I bought last nov. cummins part number 5333477. That's the original equipment and it was $5.44 cheaper than napa's aftermarket.

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MWrench:
I hope this works!
NAPA tensioner

There is an image one can click on to show the back side of the tensioner where the square is located on later units.

I believe the tensioner you have is an obsolete design. The tension relief 3/8 inch square (on mine it is 1/2 inch) to insert a socket driver IS on the NAPA unit, and will be in the same place on all later tensioners.

You should be good to go with the NAPA part. I don't think you can replace just the idler on the older designed units.[/QUOTE

You are right mwrench, the NAPA part worked fine. Thanks to everyone for your comments!

1991 28' Breakaway
Spartan chassis

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JT:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MWrench:
I hope this works!
NAPA tensioner

You are right mwrench, the NAPA part worked fine. Thanks to everyone for your comments!

We had to make a tool to get to the square hole because it was to tight to get behind it. Now it looks like I will have to modify/make a bracket a little because the AC belt is to close to the belt.

1991 28' Breakaway
Spartan chassis

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
By the way JT, ave you posted your data tag here?

Cheers Big Grin

Kevin

Going to hunt for the data tag. Where do I post the image?

1991 28' Breakaway
Spartan chassis

posted Hide Post
Post it with a picture in the Pictures of My Barth. Thanks!
If you have trouble send me a private message. I will help you get it done.