Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    V-belt to flat belt
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

V-belt to flat belt
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
I think someone has changed out the pulleys on my 81 454, I have broken the alternator belt twice, I recently re-installed the dash A/C compressor, and it seems I do not enough tracks in the crankshaft pulley or water pump pulley to support the standard V-belt installation. So is there a conversion kit to a flat belt system for a 454? The air pumps have been removed.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
try this.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
AC removed, not sure what else. 1981 454.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Danny, you have what I have now. If I use the A/C I need to use the power steering pump pulley or perhaps the water pump. I wonder if I break belts now what is going to happen with A/C connected. I read SteveVW uses two belts to drive his power steering pump, mine also has the brakes, does yours?? My alternator belt slips even when it is tight, I really have to tighten it to get a good a charge, probably leads to breaking also.

Graig, cool find. but he also eliminated the A/C. I might have to stay with v-belts if I want the A/C or get another compressor. Gets expensive.

I uploaded a pic of what the belts should look like but I do not have adequate pulley groves to do it. I still can not figure out how to post them here.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:

I uploaded a pic.... I still can not figure out how to post them here.

Duane, I did not notice any new pictures in folder 2792. You can review the updated procedure here.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Maybee this post will help you out . I have the same setup as SteveVW with the 2 short belts talked about in this post.(without ac & air pumps))
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...=157104172#157104172

Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Kevin look under recent uploads, seems it takes a bit to get in my folder of 2792.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I was piddling around and noticed my battery was really taxing my alternator, took the battery into the dealer for a check, seems they deemed it unstable, whatever that means, anyway they did give me a new one free, mine was less than a year old.

Installed it and tighten the belt, all seems good again, wonder how long it will last! I still think a flat belt drive is the best system.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post

Danny here is what the belt routing is supposed to be on our coach I think before the air pumps were removed, maybe not this is why Steve was able to run two belts to his power steering pump

I looked in Bobs link and saw the GM belt is 13/32 not the smaller 3/8 I bet that would help too.

P30 chassis
350 engine