Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Convertor/charger hookup
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Convertor/charger hookup
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I am finally getting around to connecting up my new replacement convertor/charger. I took the old one out a month or so ago and I'm not 100% sure of the hookup. The red lead is not the issue - but I believe the negative was connected directly to chassis gound. Is his correct? Or should their be a wire to directly to the coach batteries ? I'm sure there was a 12" wire that went from the negative connection to the unit attactment bolt. I should have taken a photo or made better notes...

Russell and Donna
1988 GM 454 powered 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
On my 1973 with the factory installed converter charger the chassis is used as the ground path.

On my coach as it has seen salt I have taken the grinder/sander out and while replacing the engine to chassis ground straps polished things up and then painted over the connection to seal things up. The point being the ground path on my older coach did not offer a resistance free nor a consistent path.

Chioce 1: Pull a ground wire. Good path, known resistance. This is what I suggest, it gives a known result.

If you are going to charge both batteries I suggest a nice big marine grade battery switch. Make sure it is a make contact before breaking contact model. If you take this approach both batteries house and starting will require known grounds.

Choice 2:

Measure resistance from unit to battery. However this approach assumes that there are no components in the chassis ground path that will move as you drive introducing "interesting" variations in the resistance of the ground path.

Choice 2a:

Pull a ground wire to the same frame rail for the batteries and the converter/ charger, this will save some wire. If the frame breaks a soild gound path for the converter will no longer be your primary concern.

For what it is worth.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
This may not even apply, but just as a reminder.......Unlike a house:

"The neutral and ground in an RV electrical loadcenter are NOT to be bonded together.

The RV chassis is isolated from ground by definition. Metal leveling jacks and such, mounted on the vehicle frame do not make an adequate ground contact. Therefore, in an RV, you always want to have a "floating" neutral, where the neutral and vehicle ground NEVER come together. When you bond the neutral and ground together in an RV, you have a "floating" ground (rather than neutral) and this will result in nutty things happening."

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Lee:

This is interesting but I don't quite understand.

Please know that I have not looked at my 110 so I have no idea how things are connected.

It is of great interest that Bill H. make a point to check if hot and neutral are reversed at the RV plug before he hooks up. Yea I understand this problem.

Having said this if I were installing 110 I would connect the green wire, ground or earth if you prefer, to the chassis this way I think I would be protected if I touched the chassis while grounded.

Is my guess correct? Am I missing something?

Thank you:

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Timothy,

I posted that only as general info...not to advise anyone that their work was in error....

Actually, I posted it as bait, to get billh, Bill NY & Rusty to teach us all something about this....I'm currently in a converter swap-out project myself and need to know this stuff......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smiler thanks for the info - you confirmed what I thought was the way it should be... thanks for the quick response

Russell and Donna
1988 GM 454 powered 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
This may not even apply, but just as a reminder.......Unlike a house:

"The neutral and ground in an RV electrical loadcenter are NOT to be bonded together.

The RV chassis is isolated from ground by definition. Metal leveling jacks and such, mounted on the vehicle frame do not make an adequate ground contact. Therefore, in an RV, you always want to have a "floating" neutral, where the neutral and vehicle ground NEVER come together. When you bond the neutral and ground together in an RV, you have a "floating" ground (rather than neutral) and this will result in nutty things happening."

Asolutely correct.

However, the source is referencing 115 volt AC connections.

Wit 12 volt DC, the chassis and coach frame should always be negative.

BTW, good site, Lee. Everything Phred writes is Golden.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:
If the frame breaks a soild gound path for the converter will no longer be your primary concern.

Timothy

DING DING

We have a winner for today's ringing statement of the obvious. Smiler

But seriously, everything Tim says about a good clean ground is VERY VERY important. I can't tell you how many trailer and RV electrical problems are caused by a poor ground. Particularly boat trailers. One of my camping friends had a big estimate for complete light rewiring. I showed him how to clean grounds and he solved his problems with no money spent except for a Dremel. I'm sure Bill NY's truck road service sees it a lot, too.

When I did boat electrical work for my airplane customers, I ran a solid bare bus wire around the perimeter of the boat and soldered all negative connections to it and everybody thought I was a genius. Just a simple thing like a good ground can clear up so many different things. I saw so many botched installations just because a good ground was not assured.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Also see Lee's thread especially the descriptions of single output converters (which you most likely have new) and dual-output converters, which is likely what you had.

The only thing that's almost a certainty is that you will have to run a large gauge jumper somewhere if your old converter was a dual-output.

this, and to some extent, this may help.

Actually, neither helped me, but it was easy to track down where the jumper needed to go, as I diassembled the old converter to track down its output wiring.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Actually, I posted it as bait, to get billh, Bill NY & Rusty to teach us all something about this.....
Yer fish'n wit gr8 bate!

I really can't add much to this. About 75% of all road calls are electrical in nature for us.

I would only add that a 12 volt battery is actually 6 battery cells at about 2.2 volts hooked together in series to form what we would call a 12 volt battery. Other then that I have nothing Earth shattering to add. It is otherwise a good great fantastic article.

Unless something is lost in the translation of the article I really don't have much more to add. But, if it's Greek then speak! I'm sure we can explain a specific question better.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post