Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    EPM Module
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

EPM Module
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 1991 motorhome on a Gillig chassis with the Cat 3208T engine. It has an EPM module.

The EPM has been going off intermittenly indicating the engine overheating. However, the engine is not actually overheating. Therefore, I think i am having a problem with the EPM sensor.

Is anybody familiar with this EPM and if so what might be the problem and how to correct it.

Thanks

John

Posts: 2 | Location: washington, dc | Member Since: 11-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
John, I also have a gillig chassis and 3208 and the EPM was shutting down the engine. My problem was actually a slightly low level in the radiator. The fluid had to be as high as the sensor mounted below the expansion tank.

Would you please post the Data Tag information for your coach.

Thanks,
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Look at where he's from Nick.

We had a rally in your backyard not that long ago...
Nation's Capital Barthmobile GTG - October 9-12, 2009
Cherry Hill Park - College Park, Maryland

If you want to see what happened and some of the pictures of the event, flip thru this post.

Or, you can jump right to the pictures at this post.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...=121103571#121103571

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response regarding the EPM module.

However, my engine is not actually overheating. The EPM goes off for only about 7 minutes and then it is o.k. to drive for awhile before it goes off again. Sometimes, I can drive for as long as several hundred miles before it goes off but sometimes only a few miles.

Do you happen to know where the EPM sensor is for the coolant temperature and what it looks like. I am thinking of replacing it if I can find one but I am not sure which sensor it is. There are a lot of them attached to this engine.

Another option is to disconnect the EPM somehow. The Giilig manual says you cannot just pull it out because the engine will not start at all then.

Thanks again.

John

Posts: 2 | Location: washington, dc | Member Since: 11-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Old topic but where actually is the EPM located on the 3208T on my 1991 34’ Gillig ? Any pics?

Mike/Cindi w

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I think Nick would know the answer to your question. He does check in from time to time.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Just talked to Holt Cat (Holt of Ca in Winters, CA) to get a part # for the EPM in case I needed one and he seemed to not know what I was talking about. Has that device been discontinued on later 3208’s or possible superseded by a newer technology with a different name by chance. If still around, anyone have the cat part # for 3208T applications around the year 1990 ?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
still looking for an answer on the EPM..

EPM stands for: what?
Engine Performance Module
Engine Protection Module

my cat 3208T is serial # 02Z65044

I looked it up and came up with this info:

3208 TRUCK ENGINE
Engine Serial Number - 02Z65044 (Build Date - 06/14/1990, Test Date - 06/14/1990, Ship Date - 06/22/1990)

here's the page I found.. put your cat engine # in place of mine for your info..
Cat lookup

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
quote:
Engine Protection Module

I refer to EPM as the above.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
asked the same question on the Cat Engine Forum on the IRV2 site"

Here's the last answer:

"I am not aware of any EPM for a 3208. The EPMs were the electronic personality module for the engine--- they were a separate plugin electronic chip that carried the fuel settings , timing etc. If wanted a different horsepower or torque curve you removed the old "chip" and installed a new programed chip. This was before CAT flashed engines with new software. All the 3208 had mechanical fuel injection and mechanical governors so no need for a computer. Never saw one with electronics unless it was on a generator and then it only controlled engine speed."

I'm wondering if this was an add on part ( not described as above, something else, rather than an electronic chip), added on by Barth for some other reason..?
...an older conversation on EPM's...

M/C-W

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the Gillig Chassis manual by chance ( sold by Gillig)? Mine is with the mechanic in Texas.. I'm almost sure, in that manual, it has a page or two, discussing the EPM. Thats where I first learned about it.

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
Mike does the Dash have an EPM override switch?

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Mike does the Dash have an EPM override switch?

come to think of it, the way the mechanic had to drive it into the shop was by using an 'override switch'. Never tied the two together.. Still need that page or two from the Gillig Chassis manual that discusses the EPM. Unfortunately, my mechanic doesn't do computers (Mom and Pop shop)..
As a side note, I noticed in my Gillig Chassis Manual that a few topics were were off a few pages or subject locations ( 11-2 was actually 11-4 or 11-6 was 11-7, etc..). from the table of contents. Not a big deal and can be annotated easily in the TofC or index to reflect correct location.

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
Mike, I do not think it is computer. More like a series relays that shut the fuel off for high coolant temp, low coolant amount, Low or no oil pressure, maybe high oil temperature. I do not recall Ed posting on the EPM. I could have missed his post. We need input from Mwrench (Ed) to get this mystery solved for you Mike.

posted Hide Post
Newbie here. Specifically interested in this subject.

Hello,
I too am having this problem with EPM on a Gillig Chassis. I contacted Gillig and have a part number for the EPM, which is 42-21087-000.

On my Chassis, it it mounted near where the steering column attaches to the dashboard. It consists of a countdown timer, and a small pc board, which is contained within the box where the outrageously obnoxious starter horn is located.

Attached is the Gillig Manual Page, as well as a service document from Gillig. The service document is nearly impossible to read.

Forgot the most important information. This item is no longer available. Would love to find a work around for this problem on my coach.

What I am considering doing is cutting out the pc board, re-flowing all the solder joints, and reinstalling. I have performed this technique on the Emissions Control Module on my 1982 Toyota pickup, and the non-operational instrument panel on my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, both with great success.

I didn't know how to post a second image, so I replied to my own post. Sorry for the bandwidth.

Marvin

PDF DocGilligEngineProtectionModule_-_42-21087.TIF-0.pdf (24 Kb, 175 downloads) Gillig EPM

Posts: 2 | Location: Colorado | Member Since: 04-17-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post