Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Aluminum Rims
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Aluminum Rims
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted
Is it true that aluminum rims help with gas mileage, all other things being equal? I have heard that is the reason otr truck drivers prefer them.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Not to my knowledge. What they do provide is a more accurate round shape that eliminates "bounce" due to wheels being out-of-round or warped. I suspect OTR drivers like them because they look kewl...

They also reduce unsprung weight - important on sports cars (allow the suspension to react more quickly), but unless one is in Le' Grand Prix de Mammoths, not a factor in RVs.

Inner wheels on duals have to be steel anyway...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:
Is it true that aluminum rims help with gas mileage, all other things being equal?

Yes.

But:

1. All other things are seldom equal.

2. The effect is miniscule. Perhaps unmeasurable, outside of a lab.

Lighter wheels will absorb a bit less power during acceleration and truer wheels will absorb less power during cruise.

They do indeed look kewl. Wish I had a set. I have almost bought a coupla SOBs just to cannibilize the wheels and resell the coach.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:They do indeed look kewl. Wish I had a set. I have almost bought a coupla SOBs just to cannibilize the wheels and resell the coach.

OTOH, stainless steel wheel covers are much easier to keep looking good. That said, my Lexus has alloy wheels, but they're a matte finish. My van has 'em (replaced warped steel wheels, and cheaper that steel), and they also have a matte finish, but always look ugly.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I've had stainless liners and Aluminum wheels and give me the stainless any day.

The main reason truckers use aluminum is weight. With the number of wheels they have it can make a difference of 2-400 pounds and that can turn into money.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I have aluminum wheels and they are aluminum inner and outer.

Only requirement that I know of is there are special inner attachment bolts for use with aluminum wheels if mounted inner.

I wish I could find steel 19.5" X 7.0" or 19.5" X 7.75" in the 6 bolt Budd pattern!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rusty, "Ugly Betty" has all six wheels that are 22.5 inch Alcoa Aluminum, including the inner duals????? Confused
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
For 16" Alcoas, they show different part numbers for "inner" or "outer" wheels, the only difference being the degree of final finishing on either the convex or concave side of the wheel, i.e.: My barth takes 2 "outies" for the steer tires, 2 "innies" for the outside duals and 2
I-don't-cares for the inside duals (unlike a GMC motorhome with single wheel tandem arrangement that would need six 6 "outies" to have the finished side exposed...)

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Strange - when I was looking for replacement wheels for my SOB, Alcoa's website specified inner steel wheels here; I see now that applies only to the 16", which is what I was after.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Another oldie but goodie thread..

the conversation re: inner steel wheels on rear duals is of interest. I've have to query my mechanic on what I have inside rear..Outside are Alcoa's.. This conversation deals with 16/19.5" wheels.. Any different approaches if you have 22.5" wheels ? Steel wheels preferred or ...?

heres my rear outside rear wheel..Pardon the photo manipulation for my avatar..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I can not address 22.5 wheels as my Breakaway has 19.5. However, it appears that the 6 bolt Budd pattern Alcoa is getting very hard to find. 19.5 6 bolt Budds are no longer available. Metric 6 bolt Budds are available but will not bolt to our bolt diameter. Can't say for sure 6 bolt Budd 22.5 wheels are still available from Alcoa.

I had 4 steel wheels built all for the rear because I wanted to run 245R70 19.5 and they require a wider wheel then even the Alco 6 inch wide wheel.

When I bought my Breakaway, it had all 6 wheels Alcoa. First they did not have the correct inner lug bolts, they are supposed to have an extension beyond the flange to help located the wheel. Second, even though I FIRMLY stated to tire installers that they were not to use an impact wrench, they did, result-----2 cracked wheels-----JUNK!

Now at least I have spare Alcoa for the front.

I did run steel inners and Alcoa outers with 225R70 195 on the rear for awhile and could tell no difference when all 4 rears were Alcos.

With over 15K lbs weight on the rear, the additional unsprung weight of steel wheels is not a factor with no noticeable change in ride NVH.

I know this doesn't address your 22.5 issue, but if I were you, I would definitely use steel inner and save the Alcoa!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Thanks MW, anyone have a source for HD steel inner wheels that will work with Alcoa's on the outside in a 22.5 configuration..?
are the outside and inside Alcoa's the same wheel?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who says? All six of my wheels are aluminum. In fact I rotated the inside rear to the front a few years back.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
Another oldie but goodie thread..

the conversation re: inner steel wheels on rear duals is of interest. I've have to query my mechanic on what I have inside rear..Outside are Alcoa's.. This conversation deals with 16/19.5" wheels.. Any different approaches if you have 22.5" wheels ? Steel wheels preferred or ...?
Mike you have the Gillig Chassis. I have 6 aluminum wheels. I am the only one here that rotated tires. You can rotate inside duals to front, or outside duals to the front, but on the opposite side.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks to me, like a new Kitchen sink drain at the big box store. They never stay that shiny.