Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    New 12v Stereo Installation
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New 12v Stereo Installation
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
I want to install an additional 12v cd/radio under my living room cabinet so I can play the sterio with out turning on the ignition key. The question I have is does anyone know how I tell if I can just splice into the wire going from one of my accent lights in that cabinet.

What'yall think about this??

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Mark Estep
posted Hide Post
Dave, Most stereos now have a pretty good juice requirement. The wiring may not be heavy enough to handle it. I've seen cases where it seemed fine at low volume, but when ya crank it up, the light dimmed in tune to the music! Stereo equipment also may pick up a buzz from unfiltered power sources like lights. It's always better to put it on its own line, in my book.
Mark--

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I put in a PIONEER HTZ-77DV DVD HOME THEATER in mine. It�s a very unusual setup. There are however two problems: you have to have somewhere to hide the subwoofer and it�s 120V. I hooked up a dedicated inverter direct to the house battery to power it. The subwoofer went in under the couch and the unit itself fits neatly in any cabinet. I liked the remote LED read out which is right on top of the rear view mirror.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, if you wish to stay with 12 volts, re-wire your dash unit direct to the house battery using 12 or 10ga. wire and an inline fuse.

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton, MI, lenawee | Member Since: 01-02-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,if I was going to rewire I think I would power off someting that is powered down with the main disconect.The first time you say I,ll never forget,boom!!dead battery.

------------------

Posts: 22 | Location: LINCOLN PARK, MICHIGAN USA | Member Since: 03-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
First of all, thanks for the great help.

I have the center twins and under the twin bed on the street side is that fuse panel for all of the 12v stuff. I suppose I just need to tap into that back of that panel and wire it up to the cabinet. I have never done anything like that. Have any of you snaked wires in the wall. How did you do that?

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's almost impossible to snake wires though the side walls.

Charles

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, if you decide to snake it thru the walls here's a hint. From you rental center: rent the electricians snake.. It is made of fiberglass and comes in sections of 6' each where each section will screw on to each other... It's about the size of a fishing rod...It will bend about 90 degrees..very flexible.

Now the good part: IT IS FIBEROPTIC AND GLOWS IN THE DARK.

Good Luck.

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post