Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Propane Tank
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Propane Tank
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
1974 Barth Class C on Chevy G30 chassis. The propane tank is a Manchester B83451 and no longer made. The shut off valve leaks and there are no replacement shut off valves available from Manchester due to out of date/spec/certification requirements. They do have a tank that is the same size, 12"X28". Original tank was welded on by Barth to attach to the frame and that is now illegal. The only bracket they have is on the top.
In addition, since the tank is 44 years old and not certified, no propane filling station that is worth their salt will touch it. I thought about mounting two 20# bottles on the rear, but have discovered that there are more DOT regulations on that. You basically have to build a frame around them that would withstand impact. Anyone have any ideas?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
I didn't think a house tank had spec rating on it like portable tanks do? Is the shut off valve replaceable with a valve from another model? Mine leaks when not turned on all the way but of course it was full when I got it and haven't found anyone willing to suck out the propane. Have a valve to replace it but it is a really big tank, still saying full after 50 days of use this summer.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
All propane valves should always be entirely on or off. Never turn a propane valve on just a half a turn or so.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
From what I've learned, ASME certified tanks do not have to be inspected on a set schedule. Their certification is for the life of the tank. DOT tanks have to be re-certified, I think every 5 years. Since my shut off valve leaks, mine can't be re-certified. And from what I can see, never was in it's 44 years of existence. Just another caution for anyone buying an older RV. New tanks are rather expensive.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
jim let me check tomorrow. I took the tank out of my 72 Barth. I am thinking it will be 2 big. I have it hooked to the grill using the 1/2 tank of propane. Waste not! Older than yours but i was impressed with it. Looks a lot newer. Looked to be original. Stay tuned.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1381 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
www.certifiedcyl.com

Check with this people, they are in Crossville TN, not far from you

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify what I've said, the shut off valve leaks, but not to the outside air. As long as you make sure all appliances are off, there is no propane being leaked into the air. The appliances essentially serve as the shut off. The main problem is that the thing is not certified, so propane filling stations won't fill it. Plus, as long as the valve is leaking, you can't do a RVIA leak test. System is supposed to hold 5 bars of water for 3 minutes or something like that. Manchester says they don't have a replacement valve but I'm going to call their engineering department today and see why I just couldn't use a newer version.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Not talking about Manchester Tank (I know they are in Crossville too). That place I recommend refurbishes all kind of propane tanks. Read their website.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Jim I measured my tank 42 long. sorry not a replacement for you.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1381 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks anyway, Dana.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Jim , I was certified to fill propane when I work camped a few years ago. The propane company said the portable tanks needed to be cert (less than 7yrs old) or recert(5 years from date. OR installed in a motorhome (no dates) they said if we were not comfortable we did not have to fill the tank but as long as it did not have major rust issues or holes we could fill any age tank. In other words, get out the rustoleum, paint the tank and put a second shut-off down stream.
Have fun

Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Bingo.

This is not rocket science. Clean up the tank well (sand blast is ideal) check for rust pitting and seam integrity. Paint it well and fill it up.

The "inspection" required for LP containers is not the rigorous hydrostatic pressure testing used in industrial and scuba tanks, rather a "general inspection" for overall condition and obvious leaks. These are only rated 150 psi or so.

My propane guy will look at them and fills almost all without a problem. Shop round.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Have determined that this is an ASME rated tank and is in good shape. Will clean it up a little and use it. The only appliance that doesn't have an automatic cut off is the stove and all you have to do is make sure it is turned off and you'll lose no propane. After some regular use, the shut off valve may well fix itself.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
All propane valves should always be entirely on or off. Never turn a propane valve on just a half a turn or so.

True but pretty sure you shouldn't hear hissing and smell gas while turning it even if you don't bend down to turn it. Smiler LOL

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, that is not the situation with me. When you turn the shut off valve to 'off' a small amount of propane leaks past it. Probably will heal itself with regular use.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B