Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    8.2 Detroit Turbo
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

8.2 Detroit Turbo
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted
Hi Everybody!
I am new to the forum.I am looking at buy my first Barth and am pretty excited! I am looking at an 1985 Regency 35RD. It has a Detroit 8.2 turbo/205HP fuel pincher that is sleeved, with an Allison AT545 with 430 lbs of torque. I have been reading some bad things about the engine being under powered and head gasket problems. Also parts are getting scarce. Has anybody had any experience with this motor.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums!

The GM 8.2L is considered a bit fragile, but relatively cheap to replace.

The real issue with the early Regencies is that they are on an MCC chassis, and chassis parts are hard to find (there's one known supplier).

The MCC Barths are considered to be the best riding/handling.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Rusty, thanks for the info. Didn't know about the chassis. This coach has 77,000 miles on it. I don't know if that is a lot for this engine or not. It's locate in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This particular gentleman is the 3rd owner. He has replaced a lot of items, belts, hoses,tires,fluids. Interior is very nice. Exterior is clean and straight. My only reservation is the engine and now maybe chassis parts!

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the 8.2L isn't stock a sleeved engine. 205 HP seems low (the 6.5L TD was 190, upped to 195).

And my GM 6.5L TD-based AMG angine is 230 HP, 430 lb-ft.

The owner of this one has many questions to answer...and BTW, ask about upgraded brakes, as reports are that the originals were on the weak side.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I will definately ask about the brakes. The 8.2 from what I can find had three different HP's 165 and then 205 and 230 w/turbo. He sent me a copy of the original standard equip. sheet and it had the HP listed at 205. When I asked him about the sleeves, he said that his mechanic said that after 83 they fixed the head gasket problem and put in sleeves so that replacing pistons was easier...don't know, going to do some more research. I didn't know any engines were sleeved unless there was some sort of problem

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I found some earlier posts by our host Bill in which he discusses the 8.2. It has given me the information that I need. Thanks for all your help

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
I have an 85' Regency with the 8.2. Yes, 205 is right - it will not get you qualified in the front row but it does OK. If you live in a very hilly area it can be a bit of a drag but out on the flats it does just fine.

The chassis parts are still all available as well as all the engine/trans parts. If you don't treat the brakes well they will let you know - use standard caution about long downwills - especially when towing.

One thing to take a good look at is the radiator - very expensive to repalce and its 25 years old!!

And yes, these things really handle well. The rear suspension is very uncommon for an RV - its the same design as most Porsches (independant trailing arm torsion bar).

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post